Author Topic: We finally did it!`  (Read 1506 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
We finally did it!`
« on: April 22, 2021, 11:06:26 am »
Last night, Mrs. Badger and I paid off the house!  Debt-free, baby!  Now, if we could just figure a way to get free of taxes and health insurance, we'd have it made!   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline mmattockx

Re: We finally did it!`
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:17:57 am »
Sweet, congrats. Being debt free is a great thing.

Mark

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 11:26:15 am »
Congratulations! It sure is a nice feeling to be debt free. Takes discipline to do it but the rewards are worth it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 01:35:01 pm »
Yep". Still got to pay the tax man, and keep the insurance up to date, but at least you can set up a separate savings account and keeps the interest.  Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »
My dad use to say if we could just win the lottery.

My mom would say don’t be so greedy. You should just wish we could be out of Debt.

My dad then said who’s the one being greedy. Winning the lottery wasn’t going to get us out of debt.

Congrats WB.

Bjrogg

PS don’t see that happening anytime in my lifetime
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline gifford

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 08:04:02 pm »
congrats it's a goal we all strive for - it's a great feeling isn't it. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 02:47:32 am »
BJ, I remember a joke about the farmer who won a very big lottery and was asked what he was going to do with the money - he replied "well, I guess I'll keep farming 'til it's gone!"
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:28:08 am »
I was around 50 when I finally became completely debt free, turned out to be a good move as my company did away with my job when I was 52, I did get a good pension from being with them for 30 years. You can live on a surprisingly small amount if you aren't making any payments, especially if the kids are grown and gone like mine was. I never looked for employment since, I have been retired for 21 years so far. I had a few small savings plans in place so when new car time came around I could pay cash.

I have found that excuses abound when it comes to making a debt free lifestyle a goal, most people put it off until it is too late, much like planning for retirement. If you are living on a small fixed income in your old age it is your fault. I made retirement savings on an equal plane with a house payment or car payment starting when I was 22 and just out of the Army.

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 09:44:51 am »
Great deal.

Got blow'd into retirement when I was 44. Sat in recovery for about 16mo suckin my thumb but the great Ranger in the Sky seen me thru. Went back to the CZ as a Privateer so to speak (guy with gun skills, will travel) type of thing. Got hurt again and said "I'm Pau, No Mas, I'm out the worky gene pool foreverh's" . My pension was a great deal. Little did I know all those years ago that if I stayed above ground after my service, Life could be Good.

My wife and I really are blessed and have that good life. My place is not quite paid for but since we bought most of it up front its really not a burden at all. Who'da thunk jumping outta high performance aircraft at night, crash landing and running to the sound of the guns would of turned out so good. Just have now, pay for those wild decades of black blue and bloody. That bills is coming due i'm afraid.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 05:08:39 am »
Seeing the future at a young age is becoming rare it seems nowadays.It's good to hear.Congrats to the Badger family.
Living with debt most all my life a person gets used to it,but seeing the final goal accomplished sure does feel good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed