Author Topic: Beach wood  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Fox

Beach wood
« on: April 20, 2021, 12:45:34 am »
I have a beach sapling stave I cut a year ago.... (beach is my favorite tree for some reason) I couldn’t find much info on the wood... one post Marc said he made a few bows from it and they lasted... anyone used the wood much ?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

Re: Beach wood
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 12:59:01 am »
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 01:35:00 am »
Looks like that check goes to center of the stave, I would think to use wedges to continue to get 2(?)
Bows perhaps.  Likely best to remove the bark and seal the ends and back.  Beech is a white wood.  Good luck, we don't have it out here.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 02:58:21 am »
Beach wood is normally pretty knackered, all that time in the sea and sunlight doesn't do it much good ;) ;)

Offline M2A

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:26:22 am »
Only one time. Stave from a 12"log. Exploded in spectacular fashion on the tree after about 200 shots. Tension brake, Best guess is it was 5 lbs heavier than I thought which was 5 lbs heiver than it should have been :) bow scale read 58 lbs in the aftermath. I have a couple more staves from that log but will keep it at 40-45 lbs for next attempt and think that would do well.

With a high crown like you have you may want to back it. I think it will work fine so long as your not trying to push the limits.
Mike     

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 09:51:55 am »
I've made maybe 1/2 dozen Beech bows and all turned out well.  The last one I worked on didn't turn out so good though.  I tried stressing it a bit more by heat-treating and reflexing, it chrysalled badly.  Treat it like White Ash
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com