Author Topic: 2 fletch NA style  (Read 8116 times)

Offline Fox

2 fletch NA style
« on: March 17, 2021, 01:14:45 am »
Is there any difference in Accuracy between the Native American style 2 fletch verses a more common 3 fletch? Why is the 3 fletch more common and preferred? The two fletch seems like a much easer fletching style...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: 2 fletch NA style
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 03:01:09 am »
Just my opinion - there is no appreciable difference if the arrows are well made.  The best test would be to Match a set of 2 fletch and a set of 3 fletch to a particular both and shoot a couple hundred arrows under similar conditions, i.e., alternate sets during the test, and have at least one neutral observer(if you can find one (lol)).  Good question!  3 fletch might be an English influence.
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:42:54 am »
I have been using two fletch on my every day arrows.  They are as accurate as I am.  The advantage to two fletch is that they are easier to load and shoot.  No messing around with getting the cock feather in the preferred position.  They also use less feathers.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:05:10 am »
I think the fletching would be equivalent if the total fletching area, twist, etc. is equal.  I remember from one of the TTB that the Cherokee only used a two fletch as a 'quicky' solution.  Didn't the bow come over the ice bridge from Asia?  If so arrows and would have come too, so three fletch could be an Asian influence.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 03:56:25 am »
Just my wild guess, the 2 fletch likely derived from the atlatl dart, which predates the bow and arrow by a long time (AT), although they over lapped for quite a span.  Not sure about the development of the 3 fletch.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 08:34:38 am »
I don't know if this counts for anything but when i was very little i made a little stickbow, had no tiller because i knew nothing about bows other than the stuff from my Dangerous Book for Boys book. When i made arrows i knew that people used three fetched arrows normally, and i tried to, but my little brain told me that it was too hard and that there should be no difference between two fletch and three fletch. as long as the back of the arrow wants to move slower than the front.

I think if a little 6 yr old can figure out that much without knowing anything about bows, other people back then knew about it too. My hypothesis (yes, getting fancy  ;)) is that the three fletch arrow is like having a fluted hunting point, or decoration. Its not necessary but maybe it shows that you put more effort into it... or maybe its just tradition... probably is just tradition lol. (I am probably over analyzing an extra feather)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 11:50:31 am »
I have been using two fletch on my every day arrows.  They are as accurate as I am.  The advantage to two fletch is that they are easier to load and shoot.  No messing around with getting the cock feather in the preferred position.  They also use less feathers.
I agree with Buck.  I used 2 fletched arrows for horse archery to help an old guy speed load.  The feathers were a bit larger (cut down flu-flu feathers, but they did very well.  As Buck said, they were as accurate as I was!  :-)  Alas....

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 06:12:48 pm »
Okay, thanks everyone... maybe ill try making my next arrows with the 2 fletch as I struggle with the normal 3 :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 06:22:56 am »
when you do a 2 fletch how is nock oriented?
If not or mildly twisted feathers are parallel or perpendicular to bow string?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 01:39:31 am »
Feathers should be fairly parallel to the string, a slight off set doesn't matter too much.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 01:53:39 pm »
I am no expert on any of this, been shooting bows since the mid 60s but mostly from the 70s on. When done right, a two fletch delivers the goods no problem. I always figured that any game ever taken with them never knew otherwise as did any men. Plus I always look at what distances I mean to shoot anyways and mine have shortened quite a bit over the years as has my draw weight. I kind of like the looks of the two fletch on my cane arrows and have shot a lot of arrows that were missing a feather or two and they shot fine. heck some arrows out of some bows shoot fine on close distances with bare shaft. so maybe big differences are found with poorer arrow to bow matchups?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 03:19:22 pm »
I always figured that any game ever taken with them never knew otherwise

You're quite right.  I wonder though, did the game not taken with them know otherwise?  :-\

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 08:48:19 am »
Fox,
          Used 3 and 2 fletch and have seen no difference...I find the "Eastern Two Fletch" mush easier to hand tie with sinew..
Here is my go to fletching...Don't mix right wing vs left wing orientation on the same shaft...When done properly they will spin rapidly and maintain good drag...Notice the small sinew thread in the feathers center holding it to the shaft to keep the buzzing noise out of flight...These are right wing "secondary" feathers, right helo tied with a 90 degree twist gives me speed, good rotation and control...
                                                                                                                    Don

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:42:10 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Fox

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 09:58:07 pm »
Thanks for those pictures! I’m definitely going to fletch my next arrows with the two fletch :OK

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 01:13:09 pm »
This is my own personal version of a 2 -fletch and it works very well for my style of shooting.  Goose feathers