Author Topic: Arrows for bear.  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Mafort

Arrows for bear.
« on: March 21, 2021, 07:24:56 pm »
So I’m going bear hunting in Colorado when the season hits. I’ve never been but my grandfather who lives there said he’d take me. I have a 65lb pyramid style bow I plan on bringing  however I’m not sure if I want a heavier arrow for bear or would it be better to have arrows slightly lighter. Also if you e been hunting for bear what would you recommend.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Arrows for bear.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:07:02 am »
Not a bear hunter, but I would think a heavier arrow would be better.  Bears have a very heavy coat and are putting on fat at the time of the season.  Also, be in very good condition!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 11:17:38 am »
A 65# bow is plenty for bears. Stay in the 9 - 11 gpp and you'll be good. 600 -700 grain finished arrow is what I would recommend. Whatever flies best and gives you trajectory you're comfortable with. Bears usually die very fast with a well placed arrow and sharp broadhead. At least in my experience that's been the case. As with all bowhunting arrow placement is key. Good luck. Hope you get an opportunity.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 05:27:09 pm »
A 65# bow is plenty for bears. Stay in the 9 - 11 gpp and you'll be good. 600 -700 grain finished arrow is what I would recommend. Whatever flies best and gives you trajectory you're comfortable with. Bears usually die very fast with a well placed arrow and sharp broadhead. At least in my experience that's been the case. As with all bowhunting arrow placement is key. Good luck. Hope you get an opportunity.

Study up on the organ placement in black bears before you go and get used to looking for the shot that allows you the best chance of heart and lungs. Bear is different than deer in that respect and what may be a fast kill on a deer is a slow and painful death for a bear. Also, keep in mind, a bear may moan and cry in pain and agony much like a human, unlike deer. It is your responsibility to minimize the suffering out of respect for the animal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 05:36:28 pm »

Study up on the organ placement in black bears before you go and get used to looking for the shot that allows you the best chance of heart and lungs. Bear is different than deer in that respect and what may be a fast kill on a deer is a slow and painful death for a bear. Also, keep in mind, a bear may moan and cry in pain and agony much like a human, unlike deer. It is your responsibility to minimize the suffering out of respect for the animal.

I understand and intend on doing everything I can to ensure a clean shot and quick end with as much respect as possible. It’s partially the reason I asked my grandfather to come with me cause he’s been a few times. I’m hoping to learn a lot and enjoy the hunt. Wonder what kind of recipes are out there for bear meat. 🤔🤔🤔

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 05:54:29 pm »
I have a friend that uses bear meat in a pork/green chili recipe.  It's delicious.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 06:28:45 pm »
I'd say use at least a 500gr arrow with a scary sharp 2 or 3 blade broadhead, 600gr would be better. Like others said study bear anatomy and make sure you can put the arrow right where it needs to go.
 I've only eaten bear meat a time or 2. It tasted like greasy beef to me, not bad mind you, just a little different. Save as much of the fat and render it down to bear grease. It is excellent for cooking, leather dressing(mixed with other stuff) and to hand rub into your next primitive bow.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 04:56:32 am »
a pass thru shot helps a lot with blackies,  as their hide and fat can block making a blood trail sometimes.  a wounded bear will also circle behind if trailed...not always, but it's happened before.   

Offline Mafort

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 11:06:26 am »
a pass thru shot helps a lot with blackies,  as their hide and fat can block making a blood trail sometimes.  a wounded bear will also circle behind if trailed...not always, but it's happened before.   

So he can track me trying to track him? Now I gotta be careful

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 04:54:25 pm »
Might be wise to have a sidearm if legal during archery.  I don't remember off hand, but I know they have to be as powerful as a .41 magnum. Mano a Mano with a wounded bear doesn't make sense.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 09:13:38 pm »
So he can track me trying to track him? Now I gotta be careful

and gramps too if he is your back-up. He might not want to follow too close

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 11:32:31 pm »

I understand and intend on doing everything I can to ensure a clean shot and quick end with as much respect as possible. It’s partially the reason I asked my grandfather to come with me cause he’s been a few times. I’m hoping to learn a lot and enjoy the hunt. Wonder what kind of recipes are out there for bear meat. 🤔🤔🤔

Lotta great recipes out there for bear. But any recipe that tells you to cook it anything but well done is to be thrown to the ground, spit on, and stomped real good. It's easy to get serious trichinosis from them.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 01:36:13 am »
Plus 2!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 03:18:07 am »
So I’m going bear hunting in Colorado when the season hits. I’ve never been but my grandfather who lives there said he’d take me. I have a 65lb pyramid style bow I plan on bringing  however I’m not sure if I want a heavier arrow for bear or would it be better to have arrows slightly lighter. Also if you e been hunting for bear what would you recommend.

Granted she was on the smaller side but 550 grain arrow from a 50# horsebow got me about 18" of penetration at 20 yards on my bear last fall.

I saved the scapulas and shot them using some Zwickey single bevels.  Also tested on a cow elk scapula.  Performed above my expectations.   Penetration in to the foam backing was only an inch shorter than the control shots.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-