Author Topic: Couple rawhide questions  (Read 4131 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Couple rawhide questions
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:44:07 am »
So, I've decided to back my latest creation with deer rawhide, since I screwed up the back a bit.  Questions:
1.  Is it possible to emboss/stamp/tool rawhide like one does with leather?  I'm guessing not, because it would probably weaken it and the patterns would pull out when you stretch it, right?  still, it would be pretty cool to have some texture or pattern on the back instead of just boring, plain rawhide.

2.  I've heard of hide glue and TBIII both being used to attach to a bow.  What do you prefer?  I'm leaning toward TB because I'm a little worried about hide glue coming loose in a rain storm.  What say you?

Thanks!  Stay tuned for more dumb questions!   ;D :o
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Couple rawhide questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 01:46:04 pm »
Leather has to be wet for embossing to take well and rawhide probably wouldn't emboss well, at least not thin deer rawhide. It does make a good canvas for craft paints and/or indelible inks.
 Both TB and hide glue works well for rawhide. I've used both but prefer hide glue now. Being made of similar materials and hide glue has "suck" which helps adhere well to the bow back.   If the bow is well sealed moisture shouldn't be a problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:30:02 pm »
Pat is right about hide glue sucking the rawhide down to the substrate. As it loses moisture it REALLY loses volume.

Still, I prefer to use TBII or III because it is tackier and less slippery. I find the rubbery wet rawhide is about as hard to herd as a flock of cats, and with slippery hide glue beneath, it becomes a chore I just do not wish to take on. The aliphatic wood glue (TiteBond and other most other wood glues) gets sticky faster and still has enough work time that I can massage out all the air bubbles AND excess glue. Trust me, those two issues are more important than glue choice.

Both will work great in the end....IF you have no air bubbles or unsightly clots of glue. Good luck, and as always, post pics of progress for folks like me that can't read.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 03:43:14 pm »
OK, makes sense.  It's a shame--tooled rawhide would look really great on a bow back.

So, here's another one.  If I'm going to dye the rawhide (I have some aniline powder), would I do it before I attach it to the wood?

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:17 pm »
I think either but you may have more control after. Will you mix the aniline with anything first? I use leather dye which I believe is aniline mixed in alcohol.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 05:41:22 pm »
I think either but you may have more control after. Will you mix the aniline with anything first? I use leather dye which I believe is aniline mixed in alcohol.
Yeah, I usually dissolve the powder in alcohol.  Works great for staining arrows and bows.  I've never actually used it for hide, which is kind of funny since it's leather dye.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 07:05:15 pm »
You can get some interesting patterns using sponges, natural or artificial by blotting it on the backing.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:08:08 am »
Cool idea, Pat, Thanks.

OK, here's another one:  Will a grease finish cause hide glue/rawhide to delaminate, if I let it cure really well first?  I'm planning to finish this bow with a bear grease/pine pitch mix.  (we found the mother lode of nice, bone-dry pine resin on a lightning-killed tree the other day) 
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 12:36:40 pm »
I've never tried using a grease finish over rawhide but I believe Native Americans did use bear grease over their sinew bows but not sure.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 04:56:00 pm »
I would think it would absorb  it and make it soften, not sure but would probably do a little test on some before putting on a bow I spent time rawhide backing. JMO. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good