Author Topic: ID maybe?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
ID maybe?
« on: March 23, 2021, 09:16:52 am »
I found this on a job site yesterday(I find a lot of chert on job sites) I live in east central missouri so we have a lot of burlington chert. This looks like it has a purple-ish blue-ish color and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it is. I'm very new to knapping but I think it'll make some good points if I don't mess it up

In the woods I find my peace

Offline Patches

Re: ID maybe?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 10:15:26 am »
Yes that is Burlington.  It has a wide variety of quality and color in central Missouri.  That looks like the lower quality chert that I have found in the Marshall/Columbia area. 

Where about in Central Missouri are you located?  I am in Warrensburg, in west central Mo.  Have you ever been to MoJam? 

Neal 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 10:37:01 am »
I'm about 45 min west of st.louis in O'Fallon MO. I haven't, I wanted to go last year but it was canceled. If it happens this year I hope I can make it down for at least a day
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:45:06 am by Allyn T »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 12:53:52 am »
Be looking to meet you both there this year!  Might even have to bring some rocks home!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 03:24:50 pm »
It would be nice to put some faces to names on here hawk

Offline Patches

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 03:53:22 pm »
Allyn, there is going to be a knap in in Fairview Heights IL on June 3 - June 6th this year.  Its called the Devil's Hole Knap in.  You can find all the information on the schedule of events on flintknappers dot com.  That would be the closest one to O'Fallon that I know of this year.  Larry Kinsella puts on this knap in and he is very knowledgeable about the different types of chert in the St. Louis area.  You may want to try so go over there for a day.   

Typically there is a knap-in every year in May near east of Boonville MO on I 70 but it may not be happening this year.  I cannot find any information about it. 

Hopefully MOJam gets to happen this year.  It will be great to see everybody again, and meet all the new people.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 05:01:08 pm »
Thanks Neal I'll check that out. It would be fantastic to get some hands on guidance