Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Sad news
« on: March 28, 2021, 11:00:28 pm »
Just got word Gary Davis had a bad stroke, can’t talk or walk right now, he is a great old friend and a legend in the self bow world. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers, he is going to need it. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sad news
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:11:01 pm »
So sorry to hear about Gary. My thoughts go out to him and Linda. Wishing Gary a complete recovery.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:50:56 am »
Very sad to hear this. We had some good talks when he used to come down to MOJAM.
I hope he has a full recovery from this.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 07:59:12 am »
Yes he is good with talks  ;) we have had a lot of them over the years around the fire.I am going to try and check on him today and try and get more details, this came from Linda and not many details. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said all was good , just hunkered down in MI.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 08:22:43 am »
Matt just talked to Steve, Gary's son and said it was a stroke, a bad one, no visitors because of the virus so Even Steve don't know a lot, but don't sound good at all.  :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlennM

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:28:39 am »
Prayers and wishes for a full recovery from our family.

Glenn, Heather, and Kiersten

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 01:09:44 pm »
Prayers sent for Gary's recovery and our thoughts are with his family.

He was a regular fixture at MoJAM for years, those of us who were there learned much from him. I enjoyed the visits and his easy going manner.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 03:26:41 pm »
That is sad news Pappy.

I remember first time I ever went to a primitive meet. I had to shoot against Gary in the second round of the jug shoot. He made me feel comfortable even as he kicked my butt in the shoot. Nice man. He looked at my bow and really made me feel like I belonged there.

The last time I saw him was probably two years ago. At the Marshall meet again. He was just leaving and I gave him a back strap steak hot off the grill from my second selfbow buck. He said it tasted good

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 04:19:02 pm »
Our wishes for a speedy recovery!  Strokes are not a good thing.
Hawkdancer
Jerry & Jacie Mc Connell
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 07:58:34 pm »
Oh Geez,

I remember you told me he went back to MI. Hope for better news. I will talk to the Ranger in The Sky tonite. Sorry to here of this.

Heartfelt prayer from the the Red River Valley of Tennessee.

Shawn

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 04:50:30 am »
I hadn't heard til I saw this post Yesterday. Contacted Matt and in formed Him, then texted Steve. Got the same info as Pappy - will keep Him in My Thoughts and Prayers.  Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 01:32:09 pm »
Sorry to hear about Gary. I will keep him in my prayers. I did not know him as well as many of you. He attended our Traditional Archery Shoot for many years and was very influential in getting many folks in our area interested in making and shooting self bows. Whenever I spoke with him, he always was friendly and willing to share his knowledge freely. Shot one of our courses with him. He was shooting a very short sinew backed bow which i remember he shot extremely well.

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 02:19:02 pm »
strokes are a hard thing indeed. they always rob you of something. I had a string of them 20 years ago and got taken out of the work force. it was a slow hard road to relearn things and I still struggle with things. Had to relearn how to spell and write, couldn't even spell cat or dog. Same with simple math. couldn't talk, never knew what was coming out of my mouth plus I would forget what I was saying. I substituted words, left out words and created new blended words. Had a fear of everything and very low comprehension. Was super bad at counting because I left out the number 7 on everything. made myself relearn to ride a motorcycle so that I could use all of my feet and hands at the same time again (this took a while, I would remember one thing and forget another.) had to wear a eye patch etc. The hardest thing is just forcing yourself to push yourself to relearn anything. And this is why I am electronically challenged now, forget how to do things that I don't do a lot and very often. I get very frustrated easily with electronics. So your friend has a hard road ahead of him if he tries to regain some of his abilities and needs to be encouraged a lot. Strokes by their nature are very frustrating and some things are just lost forever. Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 11:35:57 pm »
I think we can all be as generous with our thoughts and prayers as Gary has been with sharing his time and talents with us!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 08:38:14 am »
Well said JW, he has helped many people along the way.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good