Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 5509 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Sad news
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 10:45:50 am »
Hello, all y'alls.

As many of you know, Gary and I are pretty close friends (like brothers) and we live only 3 minutes from each other.  We spoke recently of Jim Hamm's passing.  As Pappy said, Gary suffered a pretty bad stroke.  He was asleep in his recliner chair and woke to no feeling or ability to use his legs.  He was able to call an ambulance which transported him to the hospital.  I've been keeping tabs on Gary's condition, best I can.  Unfortunately, there isn't much information available at this time.  This COVID thing, makes it worse in that the hospital isn't allowing any visitors.  Currently, Gary is unable to speak or eat.  He's lost use of his right side.  Since then, I've been to his house to straighten up a bit, turn down the heat, grab mail and lock the place up.  The ambulance crew left the front door open in their rush to get him care. 

I think I can speak on his behalf that he very much appreciates the outpouring of the thoughts, prayers and well wishes.  I'm trying to keep this off of Facebook as I believe it is what he'd wish.  If ya'll could help with that, it would be nice.  Gary's son, Steve is keeping me in tune to any developments as they come.  I'm sure Mark won't mind so, I'll use this thread as a means to provide updates to all of you, his most treasured friends. 

Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 11:06:37 am »
Thank You Matt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 06:33:48 pm »
Thanks for the update, Matt. We are all pulling for Gary's recovery. I look forward to other updates as you get info.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will B

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 07:39:38 pm »
My thoughts and prayers are with Gary and his family. What a fine gentleman and a tremendous teacher and mentor for the traditional bow building community. He was very instrumental in my development as a bowyer. Awesome guy to talk with about the fundamentals of bow building. Thanks for the update Matt and Pappy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 08:55:54 pm »
Thanks Matt. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 10:31:46 pm »
I hope he recovers
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 01:46:36 pm »
Very sad news indeed.I've seen the repercussions of this.Wish him the best.Only met him once at Twin Oaks but his giving nature and knowledge of self bow work is well known.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 02:49:19 pm »
Here's an update.  Gary is showing some positive signs.  The hospital is moving him to a rehab room for physical therapy.  The hospital requested bringing in some of his own clothes, for comfort as they begin the rehab exercises.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline gifford

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 03:32:01 pm »
Thanks for the update; getting moved to a rehab unit is a good sign. Will continue to pray for his recovery.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:10 pm »
Thanks for the update, Matt. Keeping Gary in our thoughts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 09:02:28 pm »
That's really good news. Thanks Matt. Has anyone seen him or visited? We are fully open in hospitals here. I hope he is getting to see some friendly faces he knows.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 03:04:13 am »
Hopefully, he is able to regain his mobility and functioning quickly - getting to rehab is a very good sign!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 04:29:55 am »
Shawn - Here in Michigan, the Hospitals are shut down due to the Virus. Very strict. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline HH~

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:47 am »
That is really sad for folks that are suffering a illness. If he were in FL we could have went and seen him from Tenn.

Get well Gary from yer Tenn redneck budddies.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Will B

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 09:24:57 pm »
Thanks for the update Matt. Praying for continued strength and recovery for Gary.