Author Topic: Heat treatment  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Heat treatment
« on: April 01, 2021, 09:44:37 am »
I was reading D.C. waldorf's book and he has some really high temperatures for rock like burlington. If I use a turkey roaster it won't get that hot(650-675) is it worth trying or do I need to figure something else out?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Wolfmanjack

Re: Heat treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 12:32:52 pm »
I heated some with my turkey roaster recently and it improved the rock considerably but I feel like more heat would make it even better.  The raw rock was extremely difficult for me to Knapp and was hell on my tools.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 03:08:37 pm »
Ok I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. If it doesn't work I might just try the ground fire method
In the woods I find my peace

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:30:15 am »
I was going to suggest that too.. just hard to determine the amount of heat generated and time frame.. wind , outside temp . ground moisture  how big a fire you build and how long you keep it cooking in the ground all factor into that.. you will need a couple of days of no rain or you will lose that rock.. I've never cooked it I watched a few videos on it and thats how it was done primitive style... good luck...gut

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 12:20:38 pm »
Heat it a second time in the roaster. I cover my rock in the roaster with beach sand also.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 08:36:58 pm »
I’ve never tried it, but I seem to remember guys talking about using barbecue grill to.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise