Author Topic: Cleaned out my pockets  (Read 2362 times)

Offline M2A

Cleaned out my pockets
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:20:33 pm »
Hi folks. I think sometimes I get more done than I realize. Been working at getting better at knapping over the winter. Usually in my free time at work or when I cant work on making a bow. I always have a few chert flakes, small bopper and pressure flaker in my jacket pocket for down time. Cleaned out my pockets today and was taking some pictures so figured I'd get a few of the points I worked on as well. I have been working on making Madison type arrow points, or more specific the local name would be Monongahela point. Simple triangles with no notches. Very common late woodland point around my area. But more recent I have been trying a what I think is called a leaf shaped point, with a rounded base. I think its a European style but not sure just think it looks cool. Its my thought that if your going to make something simple it better be good. Not sure I'm that good, but getting pretty pleased with the thickness I have been getting as of late. Need to work better on sharpening some of these but getting there. Hafting is not something I have been wanting to put much effort into yet but need to convince my mind to work on that.

Couple notched knife blades in this group as well. Just having some fun. But hey, if something dont look right call me out on it. Hope to hunt with stone points I make this fall So want them good :)
Enjoy, Mike
IMG_4159 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4162 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4161 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Cleaned out my pockets
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:35:22 pm »
Be careful digging around in those pockets Mike. Looking good. Good Luck on the hunting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:28:40 pm »
Nice work.

I think I'd as soon keep an uncovered knife in my pocket as a piece of chert.  Try not to fall down.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:38:36 pm »
Looks great I like em! I used to carry around a flaker and chert too, till I lost my flaker : ( I need to make a replacement
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:10:18 pm »
Those look nice

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 09:19:49 am »
Thanks fellas.

Allyn, i bought  25 foot of ground wire a few months ago. Seemed expensive at the time but still using the 2 flakers I 1st made from it. Im sure I got the material if you need any.
Mike 

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 02:01:35 pm »
I appreciate that, I plan on buying some wire myself. I'll prolly only get a couple feet to start and see what my needs are.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »
Looking good!
1’—>1’

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 06:19:32 am »
Wow Mike! You mentioned your knapping on the phone but to see the points is impressive...You are taking this primitive archery to another level man...Really wish you a successful hunt with those points...Can’t wait to see them hafted up... :KN  )P(.    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;