Author Topic: Porcupine quills  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Porcupine quills
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:43:31 pm »
What can you use porcupine quills for?  I saw a big black bird take off from the ground and you can guess the rest.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Porcupine quills
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:12:47 pm »
Tradcraftsman, check out quill work an art form, that preceded bead work, I have tried a little this winter and it is a very hard skill to master, I can't even imagine the time and skill that it took to make a pc with a bone awl and sinew vs. modern steel needles and super fine thread, no wonder it almost died out with the coming of the Europeans and glass beads. Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 11:05:53 pm »
I tried quillwork a few years ago but couldn't master the skill either. James Parker's wife Becca does beautiful quillwork.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:12:53 am »
So, I thought I could go back and get it this morning, but it turns out some kind of critter is willing to drag off a pile of quills to scavenge a few mouthfuls of meat.  We have coyotes, fox and maybe others.  I can't imagine it went far, could it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 10:00:34 am »
I believe the quills are only along the back and the top of the tail. The under belly would be safe to go after for a not too sharp meal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:23:33 am »
It travelled about 100 ft ;D I walked right past it.  Fleshing the skin looks tricky.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 04:55:09 pm »
Roll it in a piece of burlap sack to collect the quills - it is a lot easier and safer.  Wear thick leather gloves and work from front to back, carefully.  Once the hide is off and stretched, it should be easier to flesh.  Learned this from a "quill lady"!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry