Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33810 times)

Offline HH~

Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« on: April 05, 2021, 10:12:21 am »
Let see those early gardens. Got my cabbages and broccoli in and doing well. Lettuce, beets and arugula ad radishes in and up. Tomato seeds all started and squash are in pots. Had hard frost last weekend but we may slide by and not get another. Been covering and uncovering for a few weeks now.

Good luck to you Patriot Gardeners. Not paying three bucks for a red pepper outta season.

Hey, My hybrid Yellow Cayenne's I strung and dried up last year are smokers with good flavor. I broke one up extracted a few seeds and chewed em up. Very good. They I forgot and took a leak with washing my hands with soap first. Well, I had a 2 alarm fire below my belt for about 30 min! Good Cayennes!

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stoker

Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:38:11 am »
Tomatoes, peppers, cukes and herbs started in pots. Horseradish and rhubarb starting to stick it's nose out. 2 or 3 more snows before I'm ready to go out side. But I'm 100 miles north of Montana. Be nice to see all progress
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 03:03:52 pm »
Little early to start that here, but I dreamed about home-grown hot peppers last night.  Another month and we'll see.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 03:07:20 pm »
Still about 3 weeks to putting out started plants.  Learning container gardening since the town fathers Sort of frown on "popping" the bunnies and squirrels!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 05:48:01 pm »
I spread red clover seed on my winter wheat. Did it about three weeks ago. When the wheat is harvested late summer the clover will grow up. We will cut it once to control weeds and promote new vegetative growth. We won’t harvest anything. It’s just a cover crop. Very good for the ground. Not to mention the wildlife love it.

The rest of my fields have a rye cover crop growing on them now.  The rye came through the winter very well and is off to a very nice start. I might have to keep a close eye on it. It can grow very fast and sometimes get to tall before I get to killing it and planting my edible beans.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:45:17 pm »
Row croppers went heavy on wheat here. I did see the place I will have to keep up after my Ranger buddy died, his row cropper drilled corn today. Guess he saw weather and is gonna roll the dice. Last year we had a big freeze on April 16th, it knock off most the Oaks catkins and burned the 6" tall corn which never recovered totally.
Deer on wheat now by me. You can see their scat is looking like summer stuff. They wont browse if they can tear into wheat every nite. Make some good antler. Need to drop salt soon for the momma deer. They eat it up when they gettin ready to drop younguns and lactating.

Be picking lettuce for 1st garden greens this week. Bibb lettuce.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 08:00:48 pm »
Be picking lettuce for 1st garden greens this week. Bibb lettuce.
   (A) (A) (A)

We just got snow this morning and aren't expecting leaves for a month!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:04:51 pm »
I planted some lettuce and spinach seed today before going down to work. Need some rain tho..  :-\

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 07:42:38 am »
There are some guys that planted sugar beets a few weeks ago before the rain and snow. We were tempted to but decided not to. Sugar beets can handle some pretty cold weather. We had some up last year that survived 21 degrees. Ended up being fantastic crop. I think the ones that got planted early this year should be in good shape so far.
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 09:25:14 am »
I have orders to stay off my tractor after recent prostate surgery, I am a month out so far.

I need to whack my greens patch, I hadn't had any bleeding in a few days so I jumped on the tractor and made a few passes through my garden with my belly mower to get things ready to till.

I went back into the house after I finished to take a leak and found out I should have listened to the doctor, more bleeding.

I had a huge turnip crop but they are hard to give away so most of them went to waste.

Offline HH~

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 09:44:20 am »
You get healed up Eric or we "whomp you with a knotted plowline".

Some early color.

Shawn~

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 10:25:18 pm »
I started planting sugar beets today.
Bjrogg

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 11:43:36 pm »
planted a lot of starters. mostly pumpkin but also peas, peppers, and flowers that i grow myself... I asked my parents to pick up sugar pumpkin seeds for my pumpkin pies i like to make and they came back with porcelain pumpkins and weird stuff like that (lol) im kinda excited to see what their like! gonna pick up some sugar pumpkins

Im hoping this year to try and cross breed some flower colors if anyone knows how to  do that. Learned a lot about it in biology and stuff but there is a lot of stuff i probably dont know!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 08:51:26 am »
I have orders to stay off my tractor after recent prostate surgery, I am a month out so far.

I need to whack my greens patch, I hadn't had any bleeding in a few days so I jumped on the tractor and made a few passes through my garden with my belly mower to get things ready to till.

I went back into the house after I finished to take a leak and found out I should have listened to the doctor, more bleeding.

I had a huge turnip crop but they are hard to give away so most of them went to waste.

Love Turnips.  Had a small yield of them last year, wasn't enough.  Gonna plant a lot more of them this year
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 01:57:18 pm »
@Deerhunter - Russell - you will need a small paint brush (model paint size, soft) to do pollen transfers from one flower to the other. essentially, you will become the bee.