Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33149 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 12:01:10 am »
Got the rain we needed. Now there's a frost warning for tonight/tomorrow...  :fp

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 12:02:32 am »
@Deerhunter - Russell - you will need a small paint brush (model paint size, soft) to do pollen transfers from one flower to the other. essentially, you will become the bee.

And remember to change your name to "Buzz"...  ;)
 ;D

Offline HH~

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 12:00:42 pm »
Saw that cold pushing in to lower 48 later in week then staying cool for a week more. I think we will come close to last years April 16th hard freeze here in middle Tenn. Gonna be real close call. HAve my warm weather stuff still in trays and cups. I will have to bring in skinning shed Wed night. Garden plants be ok cept maybe my lettuces.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 08:25:45 pm »
I sent in a sample of my garden soil to Auburn University for testing, mu soil was in pretty good shape except it could use some potash and a little borax for root crops. The testers gave me a sheet to show how much to use in a 100 square ft area.

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 09:21:19 pm »
Yep, why i dug out pappy fire pit twice this fall and layit out and turned in my beds. If you buy common fertilzer now it comes with potash in it. You plant in same place for years without potash you will get roots disease without it.

My wife picked volley ball sized Bibb lettuce. Cool weather lettuce is fine eating. Herbs are all doung well. My big Rosemary lived outside by foundation ok. Had to cover up in snow and ice with a bunch of blankets and tarps. Made fresh lamb chops on Easter griiled with olive oil and fresh Rosemary. Pink and juicy. Fine fine fine.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 11:57:47 am »
Not much going on, I am still in recovery mode with weight restrictions from having the TURP procedure done 5 weeks ago.

I started my plastic garden, ran out of plastic and ordered more on line, that shipment has been delayed. So far the garden looks rather barren but it will fill in as the plants grow,  I have squash, tomatoes and cucumbers out while I wait on the shipment of rolls of plastic. I started all my plants from seed back in March. I have used so much weed seed laden manure in my garden over the years that the plastic is a must to keep ahead of the weeds.

I grew a few bunches of garlic last year, like the wild garlic that grows in your yard the main bulb produces quite a few baby cloves. I stuck some of the babies in my planter box last fall to see if they would sprout, nothing came up. I was surprised this spring to see several new garlic plants that had sprouted from the "babies " that I had I poked into the ground last year.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 12:01:17 pm »
My garden will look like this is short order.

Offline HH~

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 03:44:59 pm »
That is year of the Wuhan Garden. We are on Year of the Patriot now. So, it got to be better this year!

Yer squash look about two weeks ahead of mine. I'm moving starters into shed tonite cold coming in now. Dogwood winter tonite is what we got coming here. Then, next week we have a few nights of Blackberry winter coming.

Hedge~

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 03:47:07 pm »
just had a freeze last night. glad we didnt plant in our garden just yet. also our starters are sprouting a little.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 10:03:38 pm »
Got 62.61% of my sugar beets planted last week before it rained. Just a few showers, but hasn’t dried out enough to finish planting them yet.

Today I put nitrogen and Thiosulfate on my wheat. Had a good day. Just have one more batch to apply.

It is going to be colder now for the foreseeable future. Probably get a little snow.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 09:05:28 am »
Last year today it was real cool here in Tenn. This years Blackberry winter frost will not push this far down or as cold I dont think. The blizzard started in the Black Hills last evening. My buddy was out shed hunting and looking for Turkeys for the opener.

Picked a big back of butter lettuce for my friend and his wife. She really loves that fresh stuff. Wish I had a bag of Radishes but its just to early. Lucky with this cool weather to have the lettuce really.

My beets are about 3" tall now with a radish row between them. everything on track I rekon.

HH~

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 10:01:47 am »
Well that's it for the fruit trees this year.  :( 
They were full blossomed and looking great and now they are covered with snow.  :o
We have three inches of snow and temps down to the 20's. A hard freeze like this happened about 16 years back and it really killed off the local fruit harvest. Oh well, maybe next year...  ???

Offline HH~

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 02:47:50 pm »
Buck up Patriots. Mother Nature is a cruel mistress.  :NN

Ya mean were not gonna burn up in carbon saturation? That’s three consecutive years with freezes later and later.

Be covering up tonite in Tenn. wont freeze but widespread frost expected next two nites.

Hedge~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 04:41:18 pm »
Same here in N Bama.

Offline HH~

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 06:37:29 pm »
Just got home from Huntsville. Looks like they are a week to ten days ahead of us in C-Vegas. Was warmer for sure down there today as well.

Tomato's and squash going back in skinning shed. My cool weather stuff is loving this. All my Broccoli has started to head. Cabbage not so much. Eating radish, arugula, and bibb lettuce now. Put later crop rows in yesterday as well as some cilantro and dill.

Shawn~