Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33156 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 09:42:22 am »
Got down to 36 here last night, I covered my plants but it looks like the wind blew all night and it didn't frost, gonna' be colder tonight.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 11:34:01 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 01:17:49 pm »
Might be able to plant a few things in about 10 days or so.  Got some arrow type shrubs and ground cover plants ordered.  Should get some early peas in the ground next week.  Going for mostly big container planting this year, going to spread and till in some ashes from the fireplace and the shop heater.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 02:49:20 pm »
Had sleet come down around midnight but yes wind blew kept frost away. Tonight will be the test. If clouds hand in we may not se frost but if it clears it will freeze solid for sure here in Tenn. Got stuff wrapped and covered. Never took tomatoes and squashes out of skinning shed.  Feels like middle October outside right now. It went from 68 to 50 last evening in 30min or so, in an hour it was in low 40's.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 09:25:08 am »
31 here in N/W Bama this morning, heavy frost.

My neighbor has a vacation house on Dolphin Island, he called me from there late yesterday to see if were going to have frost and if I could go over to his house and cover up his 11 tomato plants. He said he had a lot of 5 gal buckets in his shop but he didn't, I made newspaper pirate hats to cover the his plants when I ran out of buckets. 

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 09:28:45 am »
24 to 25 here this morning.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:07 am »
Got lucky ;D

No frost in my little slice of heaven. Saw some in lower ground this morning but none on my stuff. I immediately went and planted my squashes in the hills. Be 82 by Monday. My broccoli loves this weather, already has quarter sized heads on them. They be harvested by Memorial day I'm confident and in freezer.

It's funny how if you just miss yer window by a day or two and weather does not cooperate your left holding the bag, Especially if your rotating plants in same spaces in a smaller garden. Have to stay on it, dog gone it.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2021, 09:40:02 am »
Little Sunday Morning color to kick the Tenn Classic off with some greens and a radish for lunch.

Shawn~

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2021, 03:53:29 pm »
Looks like the lettuce and spinach isn't coming up so will have to re-do that.
On the upside, Nature's garden gave us 18 BIG morels this afternoon.  :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2021, 09:05:55 am »
I planted dill plants for pickles through the plastic in my garden yesterday, one little pot with 6 plants in it was almost $4. I grew some in my flower bed last year, I planted a few dried seeds from last years crop in the same place this year but doubted it they would come up in the pine bark.

I also kicked out some dirt and planted a handful of seeds near the woods at the edge of my yard. Deer will eat these if the seeds sprout, deer love dill, planting them was just an experiment to see if the seeds were viable.

After yesterdays planting I walked over to the flower bed to see if any dill was coming up, there was, I am going to have plenty of dill this year. In the past deer wouldn't eat my monkey grass or dill from this side of the house because the camper in my driveway made a pinch point between it and the house that they didn't feel comfortable in. I sold the camper a couple of days ago so deer will probably eat the flower bed dill as well.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2021, 10:33:34 am »
Dug the garden, turned in compost. 2 more weeks and the tators go in.
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline HH~

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2021, 11:48:02 am »
Yep, spring is under way. Good gardening folks.

Shawn~

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
Yep, spring is under way. Good gardening folks.

We're having "Spring the Sequel" here after that cold spell and snow. I think the blossoms on the trees are OK tho as the bees were working them Saturday afternoon. Blueberries were looking good and the wild blackberry patch is still greening up. Looks like a "do over" for the lettuce and spinach is needed tho..  ???

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2021, 12:10:41 pm »
High near 80s today!  Still frosting most nights, and probably will be for another month, but might try getting some of the frost-hardy stuff in the next week or so.

Made some corn muffins last night from last year's blue corn.  Yummmmmm

Mother Nature is a cruel mistress.

You ain't kidding, brother.  But we love her for it all the same.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2021, 04:22:08 pm »
Cool night grow nice tight broccoli heads.

Hedge~

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 10:53:55 am »
Cool night grow nice tight broccoli heads.

Hedge~

I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about broccoli if it tasted like that yellow one, there.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour