Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33806 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2021, 01:06:38 pm »
That would go good with lots of stuff, but it can be hard to grow to maturity! (lol).  Got some hardened off blueberries planted, lots of buds and flowers, one early girl bush tomato, and a lavender in.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2021, 06:46:10 pm »
If the blueberry plants are first year pull all the blooms off them so they make roots and new growth this year, at least that is what I have read and done to all of mine through the years.

I have half a garden free after planting what little I need this year, I put out 4 hills of heirloom cantaloupes this afternoon.

Anybody have a good recommendation for a small seedless icebox watermelon, I have one bare spot left.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 08:09:04 am »
I grew a lot of Amish Paste maters this year. Got the juicer for the LEM 12 big bite and going to can a bunch with my daughter.

I saved a bunch of Green pepper seeds and not a dern one came up, so I got to buy some. Do you need to do anything special with them like tomato seeds?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline HH~

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2021, 08:39:07 am »
If they were hybrids they prolly will never germinate.
Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2021, 09:27:49 am »
Most peppers are heirloom, I have saved seed from bells and jalapenos that came up OK.

I went looking for seedless watermelon seed, got a bit of sticker shock, 10 seeds $9. I found out seedless have to have a regular watermelon planted near them to be a pollinator because they are sterile.

I love kale and while I was on the seed site I ordered a bunch of multicolored exotic kale varieties, again big bucks but I like the stuff.

Red Russian was the only colorful variety I planted last year but I liked the way it looked and tasted.

The picture is the greens patch after the ice storm, almost a foot of snow and temps in the low teens for a week. It weathered the storm quite well and sprang back in a week or two to be beautiful again.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:31:38 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline HH~

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2021, 09:33:08 pm »
Love Kale

Gonna pick some broccoli heads tomorrow.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2021, 01:33:56 pm »
we've got some asparagus almost ready to pick!  Woo!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2021, 10:14:21 am »
Steamed, packed and froze broccoli. Have some more to do. Weather is going to be in fourtys for 10 more days at night. Coolest spring I have ever seen down here in Mid Tenn.

Shawn~

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2021, 01:56:46 pm »
Forecasting snow for Monday, Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday!  I was hoping to plant tomatoes this weekend and some zucchini and squash.  I think I will wait 'til Thursday.  Apple Tree just started blooming, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2021, 06:05:50 pm »
Yep
So glad i stay on it, dog gone it. I checked a bunch of gardens here in mid Tenn and they just got seedlings. Wont be a fresh tomato outdoor grown buy July 30th here.

Some much for climate change hippies selling that load of trash. This may go down as a very cool summer. We shall see. OK now, ...... Dont send me pm’s im a climate racist please! I just low impact realist. I smoke em like i roll em.

Hedge

Offline HH~

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2021, 09:02:43 am »
Cool cool cool

Wont be a tomato grow outsoors thats ripe before Aug 1st in my area. 40 nites in middle of May??coldest spring ive ever seen here.

Hedge~

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 09:46:19 am »
Most peppers are heirloom, I have saved seed from bells and jalapenos that came up OK.

I went looking for seedless watermelon seed, got a bit of sticker shock, 10 seeds $9. I found out seedless have to have a regular watermelon planted near them to be a pollinator because they are sterile.

I love kale and while I was on the seed site I ordered a bunch of multicolored exotic kale varieties, again big bucks but I like the stuff.

Red Russian was the only colorful variety I planted last year but I liked the way it looked and tasted.

The picture is the greens patch after the ice storm, almost a foot of snow and temps in the low teens for a week. It weathered the storm quite well and sprang back in a week or two to be beautiful again.

I preserve unused seeds in my freezer.  I have 10 year old seeds that are still viable.  When my supply goes down I get more
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 10:24:28 am »
Cool cool cool

Wont be a tomato grow outsoors thats ripe before Aug 1st in my area. 40 nites in middle of May??coldest spring ive ever seen here.

Hedge~
Supposed to be 37 tonight here in Kansass.  :o
Seen it happen before but can't recall it being this late in May.  ???

Offline HH~

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
I have a tomato called the JCM. was one branch off a cherry tomato that was yellowoff one plant in the 1970's off my fathers plant. Seeds been with me and my family 35yrs and these are loved by so many folks here now in Tennessee. You tell them coming up as seedilings as they have leaves shaped like a Potatoe. They grow to ping pong ball sized.

Just planted a few down my buddies farm right down road. They love em. Veracious growers, vine type.

Shawn~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 09:13:42 am »
I discovered one called "Mountain Magic" last year, sounds a lot like your heirloom, amazing taste and produced golf ball sized tomatoes by the bushel off one plant.

They are in the foreground of this picture.