Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33126 times)

Offline Stoker

Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2021, 10:32:04 am »
Woke up to the start of 4'' of snow. Covered my spuds. Hope the seeds I put in last week will germinate. Tomatoes and peppers should go in next weekend.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline HH~

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2021, 07:46:45 am »
Be 90's for a week or more here. Picked my last broccoli just in time. Cabbage will be headed up and full grown here in a couple weeks. Then time to et crock out and make the kraut. Nights staying in mid 60's and thats what I need for good tomatoes and most warm weather garden plants.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2021, 10:09:59 am »
Warm is here was 90 yesterday. I planted some squash and thought it looked funny as it came up so I took more seeds and planted a few more in cup. Marked Zuccini but they are for sure Butternuts. OK, butternits are my Fav but good thing I dropped some more in some cups.

The corn is going to be in fields late here. Lots of corn only 12" of less still. I am sure unless we have drought this corn will not be out til second, third week October. Wheat be coming out soon and it looks good really good this year. Should have it out right after Memorial Day or sooner. Some guys got beans in but planted early but they just did get up. Got corn on a place I hunt, been 7-8 years since they had corn on it. Be fun to se how deer react with standing corn during deer archery in Oct.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stoker

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2021, 11:28:43 am »
Got a inch of rain yesterday more coming. Radishes, beets and pak choy popping. taters doing good.
Thanks Leroy

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2021, 05:22:09 pm »
Garden update; everything but my cantaloupe and watermelon are doing fine, I had poor germination on the cantaloupe and no germination on the seedless watermelon so far.
I am experimenting with growing squash up a trellis, it will have to be tied up as the vines grow outward. Again, I saw this procedure on youtube and decided to give it a try.

Ordinarily I don't use fertilizer, just a little miracle grow when the plants first pop out of the ground. My garden is on a slope and it appears the good soil has migrated to the lower side, the upper side needs a couple of tons of barnyard fertilizer before winter greens season. The picture makes this very evident. It could also be tree roots from the wood line close by as well, it might be time for a ditch witch and a root barrier. The squash plants on the left have not been fertilized, I have been building up my soil for 20 years.

I have been using  worn out hiking boots as my slip on garden shoes for years, this year the soles fell off of them. My stepdaughter gave me a nice LL Bean gift card for Christmas, pricey stuff but the best. A quick look in their catalog and I found the perfect garden shoe, slip on and off for that quick trip from the garage to the garden (the first order of every day) through wet just mowed grass and no tracking stuff back in the house. I love them, very comfortable.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:51:45 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline HH~

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2021, 06:22:51 pm »
Looks good Eric. Your squash is doing well. About two weeks ahead of me. My broccoli is all in freezer. Looks like Cabbage is going to be ready for the Kraut Croc end of the week. This little cool front coming in will be perfect.

Peppers are flowering and have small friuit already. Tomatoes..... month behind!

Thanks Eric

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2021, 07:47:08 pm »
I started all my plants in pots way to early (except for the trellis squash), they sat in pots for 2 extra weeks because of the late frost, that is why they are ahead of the game.

A friend's son saw this same post on Facebook and said he would hook me up with as much local free cotton gin waste as I wanted, tons of it. He says it is much better than manure for gardens.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:50:57 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2021, 10:28:25 am »
Tomatoes and peppers went in last night. Sweet corn starting to pop

Offline HH~

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2021, 05:21:54 pm »
Cabbages are in. Time for Kraut topf to come out. My crock hold 5qts of kraut takes 5-7 weeks before canning. Got plenty pint jars ready for the water bath.
Only have 3 pints of 2020 Wuhan Garden kraut left. Cant wait for some fresh slaw too. Oil vineager and salt n pepper. Great early summer eats.

HH~~

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2021, 06:26:07 pm »
We haven't had a frost for a couple weeks, so I think I'm going to take a chance and start putting the tomatoes out!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2021, 08:46:03 pm »
I picked some really plump straight neck squash today, I didn't think of taking a picture and gave it to my sister-in-law who will treasure it.

Offline HH~

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2021, 12:41:20 pm »
Finally getting some showers her in Tenn in my area. Been little dry for May. Corn really needed it and these late beans as well. My tomatoes and cucumber have takin off with 65 degree nights and some rain. These cabbage are nice, just shy of volley ball size. I could see they were swelled to limit and would crack so out they a comin.

HH~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2021, 08:48:06 pm »
As summer squash goes the white scalloped is now my favorite, very prolific and has a wonderful taste, I like to grill it, fry it or boil it. I picked this today;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2021, 03:21:38 am »
Still have to get the cucumbers and Anasazi Beans  in, and churn up some of the rhubarb and set up the watering system.  Got a couple little tomatoes on the early girl and some blueberries
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2021, 02:45:00 pm »
Happy Memorial Day. Remember those gave it all on the battlefields of the world for the citizens of the USA.

Today was Kraut day for the Magyar Garden. Nice tight very large heads. Picked them and 5 min later got to shreading for kraut. 6-8 weeks and I will can it. Should yeild 20 pints. Have more in Garden but they will be for cabbage rolls and slaw.

Drive on Patriots and garden folk.

Shawn~
RLTW