Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33115 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2021, 10:14:21 am »
Looks like a family operation going on there.  Fall is a busy time for farmers

Good days are in short supply up here.  Pretty well nothing but rain and cool weather for the last couple months.  Good for some thing like Rutabaga, Beets and Parsnips which have done well this year.  Didn't get any freezing weather till a couple nights ago though which is unusual as we generally get some frost by early October.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2021, 12:17:49 pm »
Got a few herbs to dry and some celery left other than that frost got everything
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2021, 11:19:32 pm »
Same here Marc. Except we haven’t had a frost yet. I think tonight we will get a good frost. Still a lot of green leaves on the trees yet.

The crops did really well here this year. Our sugar beets are absolutely amazing. To amazing. At this point we don’t think there’s any way we can process our entire crop before it spoils on piles next April.
We are at this point instructed to not harvest 5% of our crop.

The beets we dug today are running over 47 tons per acre. Normally 37 would be pretty good bragging yields. The really crazy thing is these are not our best beets. I had to replant this field and it has a reduced stand.

The sugar content is pretty low yet. Hopefully it comes up some after frost and some sunshine.
Right now we would trade tons for sugar content.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2021, 08:22:30 am »
A couple pictures of the sunrise this morning.
Bjrogg

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2021, 06:40:49 pm »
Just came in from pulling the pepper and tomato plants.
Still need to haul off the piles of dead plants, clean up the scattered funky tomatoes that are on the ground and put away the cages.
2021 garden is officially over and we did pretty well this year with the veggies and fruit. Time to let the ground rest till next Spring.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2021, 08:08:04 pm »
I threw out some ammonium nitrate on my greens and they took off.

My daikon radishes are ready to pick as well. These things are good if you haven't tried them.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2021, 09:03:22 am »
Those radishes look very healthy Eric. I don’t know that variety. Looks like a lot of eating there though.

Around here we plant them as a cover crop. We only use specific ones though. We use what we call a trap verities. We use them to lower population of sugar beet cyst nematodes. The female cyst are tricked into thinking that the radish is a good host for them. They populate  the radish but then the radish doesn’t support them and “traps” them. When used properly they can greatly reduce the population. There are only a few trap  varieties. Many other non beet growing areas use tillage varieties. These can grow faster and deeper but actually are a host for the cyst. Actually increasing the population.

We finished harvesting our beets two days ago. Amazing yield. Unfortunately the sugar content is low. It’s going to be one of those sweet but sad stories.

We are leaving 5% of our crop unharvested. We are also try to “buy” another  7,500 acres to remain unharvested. We are estimating a 5.9 million ton crop. The most we have ever been able to process has been 5 million tons. That leaves .9 million tons that will probably have to be destroyed.

We personally dug 2,476 more tons this year than last from 19.2 less acres.

However last year we produced approximately 300,000 more lbs of sugar from those beets because they had a high sugar content. Even though their where 2.476 less tons of beets.

By the time we get nothing but expense from 19 acres and have to pay others not to harvest another 7,500 acres. Produce less sugar and probably have to haul even more rotten beets back to the field next spring. Well I’m think our bumper crop isn’t going to make us rich. Hopefully it pays the bills. One of which is a huge trucking cost.

Sometimes it seems like you just can’t win.

Oh well we are still enjoying watermelon. Picked the last of them a couple weeks ago. Man they sure are sweet and juicy. Gonna plant some again next year

Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2021, 03:00:51 pm »
My kale up close and personal today, I can't get anyone to come pick for free, I give it away.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2021, 08:03:47 am »
It looks like I’m not the only one with a bumper crop going to waste. Hope you find a home for some of it Eric.

Bjrogg