Author Topic: hickory backed black walnut  (Read 3265 times)

bownarra

Re: hickory backed black walnut
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 04:59:21 pm »
No stay away from boo for the walnut.

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 10:18:51 am »
ok.. good enough for me.. all I got is a strip of hickory .. it has a dog leg on the end.. but if I lay out the bow it still fits... so I'll trap the back get it as thin as possible.. no recurve.. I will perry reflex.. start at 2 inch wide maybe thin down to 1 3/4 wide at fades.. I'll go 64 inch.. longest I have made.. only draw 26.. shoot for 50's at 26.. my walnut isn't as thick as I thought so I cant rip any of it anyway... 3/4 is all I got.. by the time I get it flat I'll just taper it for glue up.. gut

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 09:10:05 am »
It oughta look nice with the contrast of color.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 09:40:34 am »
I am having a hard time trying to get this hickory slat that has developed a bad dog leg on end to straighten...  just enough to get a 2" wide bow laid out.. I looked for some maple slats and can not find any anywhere... even echo whom I just purchased 5 boo slats that are incredible... anybody got a hook up ?.. trade?... gut

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 03:57:43 pm »
Don

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 09:52:14 am »
well I got the hickory strip straightened.. made a jig and it worked with dry heat.. but I am thinking of ripping the walnut now .. I used a piece in an osage boo backed bow under boo at handle. 1/4 thick 10 inches feathered paper thin . and man does it looks killer...Im thinking a boo walnut , cedar or osage... haha.. never built a tri lam.. guess I need to do some research first.. I might use the hickory as an accent to something else.. any ideas ?suggestions?... gut

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:07 am »
Lumberman might be able to help you with the maple.

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 10:15:02 am »
actually BowEd has some and has offered, such a great guy. he is so appreciated .. , but I got the hickory straight.. thank you for heads up..now Im looking for some exotic boards.. lol.. anybody got a hook up where you don't have to buy 1000 bd ft... lol... gut
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:43:33 pm by gutpile »

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 03:15:35 am »
I have access to a lot of exotics. PM me sometime. I don't get over to the shop often but they generally have a lot of selection. I'd be happy to do a trade sometime.