Author Topic: Just a test.  (Read 3294 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Just a test.
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:58:17 pm »
This is only a test.

I just finished this stone point, river cane shaft arrow. I can shoot them into my Black Hole target, but it’s pretty hard on my target. Usually just give em a shot or two to make sure they shoot good.

Shot this one out of my “Big Bad Wolf” bow From about 10 yards. Arrow straightened out quick, with good arrow flight and penetration. Point went all the way through target. Target isn’t new but still in pretty good shape.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Just a test.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 08:15:37 pm »
Looks good BJ

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:43:00 am »
Awesome BJ. Just curious, how much does the knapped head weigh & what's the total arrow weight? Definitely looks like you'll have no problem with penetration on a whitetail.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 01:51:06 pm »
Awesome BJ. Just curious, how much does the knapped head weigh & what's the total arrow weight? Definitely looks like you'll have no problem with penetration on a whitetail.

I guess I didn’t weigh total arrow weight yet. I’m guessing around 600 grains.

The point was 12 grams. I’m not positive, but if I remember correctly I think that’s close to 125 grains. I don’t have a grain scale. If I remember correctly the bow is about 53@27”. I’m guessing I short drew it about a inch. 27” is a pretty good stretch for me but I tried to get it there.

Arrow is tuned pretty good to that bow. Having Arrow straighten out quick and good arrow flight are really important for penetration. Especially at close distance. That’s why I like to test them at about 10 yards.

Bjrogg

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 02:10:52 pm »
1 gram is roughly 15.4 grains. (TTB V4 p.312)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 03:54:48 pm »
Thanks Tradescraft. I guess it must have been 180 grain points I was thinking of. I know I used this combination before. I think arrow is 29”.

Bjrogg

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 08:11:10 pm »
That's a great weight, people kept telling me stone points would be light but I'm glad they can be heavy
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 10:08:14 pm »
That's a great weight, people kept telling me stone points would be light but I'm glad they can be heavy

Yes sometimes they are. This is some pretty heavy stone and about as big as I would try. I don’t like big heads, but this one is long and not to wide.

I don’t make many points from slabs. I make most from spalls. It seems like I have thinner lighter points when I use slabs. I tend to make more of a “spine” up center of head when I use spalls.

Bjrogg

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 06:03:53 pm »
I like that, the spine is prolly much stronger
In the woods I find my peace