Author Topic: 3 holmgaards  (Read 12207 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
3 holmgaards
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:41:23 pm »
Good day everyone.Towards the end of february after the cold spell here I thought now is as good a time as any to take a few staves into the house to be made into bows.Especially before spring work starts here.Humidity gets pretty low here that time of year.Especially burning wood for heat.I do not have a heated bow shed but it did get up to 30 to 40 degrees F. yet that time of year to work on them in my tractor shed.All in all took around 5 to 6 weeks worth of time.Largest time consumers were waiting for bow limbs to rehydrate after heat treating and waiting for spar varnish to dry.
I brought in an osage,black locust,and a hickory.All three good local bow woods around me here.All approximately the same length 65 to 66 inches.All with 60/40 working limbs to lever percentages on their limbs.All with bulbous handles.All with a slightly raised [1/32"] gemsbok horn arrowpass's.All wrapped with beef rawhide lace handles.All handles close or 1/8" from being centershot.All with horn overlayed tips.0 hand shock on all three with a 10 grain arrow.All shoot a 12 to 13 grain arrow [600+ grain] into the mid to high 160's for excellent KE @ 44 ft.lbs.
All tillered to 28.5".All shot in.All heat treated and reflexed once with osage retaining 70% reflex,hickory and black locust retaining 60% of reflex.All after shooting 2 hours unbrace to 1/2" soft set returning to original resting reflex in 1/2 hour.Hickory and black locust rest with 3" reflex while osage rests with 4.5" reflex.Which tells me the limbs on these bows are not being overly stressed.
The osage had some hair like drying cracks top limb all within the limb except one out towards the tip where the lever narrows down.It was shellacked properly while drying but that can happen even with the best of precautions.I double sinew wrapped that area covering it with damp deer rawhide baseball stitched on the belly side.I matched it on the other limb.
Osage has around 12 rings to the inch/black locust around 16 rings to the inch/hickory around 25 rings to the inch.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:44:55 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: 3 holmgaards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 04:46:03 pm »
It's good to see you posting some bows on here again Ed.  You have this style just about perfected and this can help others do the same.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 05:02:29 pm »
Imgur works OK for me, Ed on my Chrome Book.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:15:15 pm »
Yes same here.I just forgot to download them into imgur is all.My mistake.I went to my second 3D shoot so far this year.Good group of fellas I shoot with.It seems though I have forgotten how to post pictures from Imgur to forum.
I do have google chrome.I have pictures onto Imgur but it still does'nt post them.I click on BBcode[message board and forums] with no response.
OK....Sorry I forgot the routine.Forgot to paste.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:53:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 06:05:09 pm »
OK now for some serious transfer of pictures.Front to back...hickory.back locust,and osage.

Top to bottom....osage,black locust,hickory.

top to bottom....osage,black locust,hickory

left to right....osage,black locust,hickory

left to right....hickory,black locust,osage

left to right....osage,black locust,hickory

osage against an osage

black locust against a black locust

hickory against a hickory

Our magnolia is just budding here.Robin made sure I showed that.

osage full draw.50#'s @ 28"

black locust full draw.45#'s @ 28"

hickory full draw.50#'s @ 28"

Found this osage tree the other day.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:22:56 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 06:55:49 pm »
Lovely bows. A fine effort indeed.

You also have some nice trees on your property.

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 07:15:53 pm »
Wow Ed you have been busy. Those bows are spectacular!  The resting profile says it all. That snakeskin on the Osage bow turned out nice. Thanks for posting. Really nice photos!!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 07:37:31 pm »
Beautiful work on those! Excellent tiller. That Osage is crazy! Don’t see many bows survive out of trees/staves like that.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 07:47:42 pm »
  Excellent work Ed... You have all 3 balanced and craftmanship is A+...Always enjoyed looking at your creations over the years...Nice work on the pictures, thanks for posting...
                                                                                    Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 10:47:24 pm »
That's quite the set of bows Ed. Great craftsmanship as always. Those numbers for 13 gpp are outstanding. Really shows the efficiency of that design when properly executed.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:41 am »
that hickory full draw picture is great...and full draw for sure... the tiller looks spot on as always... thanks.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 03:00:12 am »
Very nice bows Ed. They are like triplets :)
I've just made one for a customer. Will try and get some pics up.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 05:18:41 am »
very nice bows, I hope I'll be able to craft something close to them in a cuple of decades lol. The black locust one has quite a strange colour or it's just me? is it stained? In my experience that wood gets a much more orange-brown-ish colour, but maybe it's just the ones that grow here  :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:48 am »
Nice work as always Ed. Always enjoy seeing your work. Thanks for sharing
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline M2A

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 08:33:06 am »
A lot of work there. Looks great thanks for sharing. Like the matched pics with the standing trees.
Mike