Author Topic: 3 holmgaards  (Read 12217 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 3 holmgaards
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 08:46:38 am »
Thanks fellas.The locust was left natural.The dark streak is natural too.Our black locust is a greenish brownish color.I like it.The honey locust's heart wood is a salmon color.Osage can be orange or yellow or yellow with red streaks in it too.I did like the way I stained the hickory though.I got highlights of light green,gray,and tan with some dark streaks of reddish brown.Osage was left natural too.
I'm slowly but surely getting people around here involved with these wooden bows with my searching for good trees.There's always the skeptics though of course but they never call my challenge.I think it's because my bows don't have sights on them.....Ha Ha.
Love to see your style of holmgaard bownarra.I'm sure it'll be great.
This design can be taken to any advanced stage you want as far as percentage of working limbs to levers.50/50 is nice too.They do look odd compared to your conventional looking streamlined or recurved looking type of bows but perform well.People that shoot em like em.To me they are easier to make than recurves,but there's always a certain time factor into making any bow.
It's one of the most ancient designs on the planet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 08:53:45 am »
Great work and good pictures.
1’—>1’

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:38 am »
beautiful bows and pictures but arent those mollegabet style bows?
holmgaards are basically flat bows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 09:34:22 am »
In order to understand holmgaards you need to know the concept of their function.Inner working limbs with stiff non working levers.That is the description of the function of holmgaards.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 09:57:02 am »
Lovely triplets, great work
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 10:17:53 am »
hate to be so fussy but from the pictures and drawings it seems that holmegaard bows where pretty similar to pyramid bows
I do not see any particular depth at tips that could act as non working lever

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 10:42:41 am »
If you read farther into the efficiency of how a holmgaard works it says it all.They are made according to function.They are tillerred to have inner working limbs with stiff  non working outer limbs.If you want it said that my version is a more modern type design [refined]then let it be so,but still the function of the bow is the same.The efficiency of the design dictates this.
I don't think you hate to be so fussy.You have always rather enjoyed being a desk chair non showing of your work participant on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:11:34 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 10:51:24 am »
What's in a name? That which we call a bow by any other name would shoot as sweet.

Replica's have been made with similar dimensions and have shown a tiller shape with stiffer outer limbs and working inner limbs. Who ever made the bow did not have "matching width profile to tiller shape" in mind. Regardless, the concept of that tiller shape and how it can be used for efficiency has bled into a variety of bows and styles. Holmegaard/mollegabet/etc... Let the man show off his work! ::)

gutpile

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 11:02:19 am »
Ed your bows look incredible.... gut

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 11:18:16 am »
Nothing short of Awesome Ed. Fine work and Craftsmanship as always.  :OK
Good to see ya posting here again. Hope to be able to see you and the bows soon.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 12:31:08 pm »
I shot that same 3D course this weekend!  I had no idea that you lived close to me.  Beautiful bows.

Matt

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 12:42:21 pm »
Masterful- well done Ed. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 12:50:02 pm »
Excellent bows, Ed no matter what you call them. Those osage trees are pretty crazy too and your Japanese tulip magnolia is coming along nicely.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 01:20:49 pm »
If you read farther into the efficiency of how a holmgaard works it says it all.They are made according to function.They are tillerred to have inner working limbs with stiff  non working outer limbs.If you want it said that my version is a more modern type design [refined]then let it be so,but still the function of the bow is the same.The efficiency of the design dictates this.

First off I wasn't judging how good your bows are. They look awesome and I bet they shoot very well.
I was asking where did you find notice that holmegaard bows had non working levers
From what I can find holmegaard were almost pyramid bows. Full bending limbs.
Mollegabet had non working levers but were different bows even if the regions of provenance are quite close

I don't think you hate to be so fussy.You have always rather enjoyed being a desk chair non showing of your work participant on this forum.
That's quite a low blow. To each his opinion.
I'm sure I never intentionally offended anyone (especially you) and I always read with pleasure all the forum posts.

Offline HH~

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 02:40:10 pm »
Nice rigs. I enjoy looking at them.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW