Author Topic: Best obsidian design?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Best obsidian design?
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:43:08 pm »
Finally made it out to Eastern Oregon and collected several types of obsidian.  I have begun crafting points and I am wondering what your favorite types/designs of obsidian points are and why.  Thanks all in advance.

Oh, I will mostly be elk hunting with these.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Best obsidian design?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 08:49:19 am »
Not sure I understand the question.

I guess I would say like any points. Sharp, sharp and sharp.  Not to wide. A long narrow tapper.
Oh yeah, did I say sharp?

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:54:42 am »
I was thinking the same thing.  If you are talking elk hunting with stone points, it seems it should be well crafted.  Can you post a picture of an example of a hunting point you’ve knocked out before, perhaps?  Serrated edges that will cut your finger if you run the point across it is what you’ll need, and dimensions like Brian said.
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 09:54:31 am »
they all work when placed in the right spot... but to me a Cahokia is hard to beat for hunting.. gut

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:07:26 am »
Im just trying to figure out the benefits of different designs and why you arrived at your favorite go to point.  Triangular vs spade shaped? Length versus width?  Side notched vs base notched versus corner notched?  I have made a half dozen.  As soon as I make one that isnt so embarrassing I promise I will post a pic. :)

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:57 am »
I am more partial to the triangular shape side notch bottom notch aka cahokia... I am partial to that style because I believe the penetration is slightly better with that type of design.. side notches are fairly easy to accomplish over corner notches.IMO.. plus the bottom notch gives a better hafting spot for the point to set in arrow or in my case foreshaft ... just an opinion.. I have taken deer with both styles that are in my quiver and wouldn't hesitate to sling either.. the main thing to consider when hafting your point is to have that smooth transition from shaft to point.. no bulge at arrow where it transitions to point.. I literally bounced an arrow off a doe once, because I had failed to smooth out the transition.. lesson learned  and it hasn't happened since. as for length the cahokia is 3 to 1 or even 2 to 1..mine are closer to 2.5 to 1 .. I like to keep width at 1" and below.. just so less chance of hanging up in ribs and some states require that it not be over an inch at base .. gut 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 03:26:47 pm »
Im just trying to figure out the benefits of different designs and why you arrived at your favorite go to point.  Triangular vs spade shaped? Length versus width?  Side notched vs base notched versus corner notched?  I have made a half dozen.  As soon as I make one that isnt so embarrassing I promise I will post a pic. :)

Sage, don't worry about posting an "embarrassing" point. i promise you we all have made wacky, wonky, fishbellied, ect. points lol. no matter what the point looks like, its not embarrassing, its just the stage of learning your in right now  ;D

I haven't hunted with any stone points so i don't have any personal experience, but i see a lot more Cahokia type points used. Long, and narrow, with the sides like a straight line going straight to the point.

Watch out with the corner notches. I believe in some states they are considered barbs and are illegal to use.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:43:42 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 01:27:23 pm »
Read the hunting regulations for the state(s) you plan to hunt.  Some don't allow stone points for big game.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 02:42:45 pm »
I’ve always figured that straight flat edged points, i.e. not serrated, are more for artful appearance or simply left to be touched up when actually going to be hunt.  My understanding is the name of the game is death by exsanguination. 

Seems to me that “flat edged” points pierce more than cut.  Would a dull piercing point do the job?  Maybe...so may a field point for that matter?  If a dead elk is my goal, I’d want the sharpest edges I can flake out.  Heck, I take the time to razor sharpen steel broadheads before a hunt...my thought is a stone/glass point should not be put to less scrutiny...actually more! 

That said, obsidian sure can get sharp.  Lately, the more I work it the more I like it.

Cheers, guys.
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:10 am »
flat edge as you called them can be sharper than a serrated edge and penetrate better also.. really depends on the skills of the knapper...serrations can be effective and extremely sharp but they can also grab hide and hinder penetration if not executed well... granted serrations look more deadly but looks can be deceiving.. literally its the hole that kills the animal.. I have found many an arrowhead that was as dull and a brick corner.. but I guarantee you it got the job done when placed in right spot. the sharper the head, the better the blood trail, penetration, and quicker bleed out... that is what we strive for .. ethical kill and respect to our quarry.. my heads nearly always have drawn blood before they get hafted ...hahahaha....gut

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 12:10:59 pm »
i dont feel like a flat edged arrowhead would be as effective as a serrated head, though gut. I feel like it would be sharp in some places but the cutting edge would have little dull spots where the ridges are, then right next to it a sharp spot where the flake was removed. And i though serrations caused more damage in the body, grabbing and then slicing through organs, muscle, and causing more bleeding.

please correct me if im wrong.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 01:35:45 pm »
Read my post again above and you will be corrected where wrong.. the deltas are removed before final pass or should be .  if you think about your comment,  the serration only cut where they stick out.. the notch part of the serration is deeper therefore not doing any cutting.  so which style has more of a cutting blade as per exact size head.? .. but in reality they both work and I'd shoot either .. most of my points now are very mild serrations as like a sharks tooth.. and we all know how well they cut.. I was just explaining the a flat edge as you call it can be sharper than a serrated edge..  gut

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 04:52:50 pm »
Thanks gut, im not gonna lie... I have even more questions now hahaha. im going to refrain from hijacking the thread though lol.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 01:37:23 am »
I just did a series of videos on Greek obsidian arrowheads. I did three types. they all seem to be good designs. No signs of heavy serrations, though. And the one with long barbs is illegal in most states probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l8m9seYT3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6DchetupM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3d3T-5hG60

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 03:16:40 am »
Cahokia points look like a pretty amazing bit of stone technology.  Thank you gut.  Serrations and barbs are illegal in Washington last i had checked.  I hadn't considered that in terms of corner notching.  Thank you so much for your insights... now I'm off to review my video homework:)