Author Topic: removing dry hickory bark?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
removing dry hickory bark?
« on: April 13, 2021, 11:04:49 am »
I got a great-looking hickory stave in the mail yesterday, but it still has the bark on, and it is really hardened.  I can take off a lot of it with a hammer and chisel, but I'm wondering how to get it off from in between the fiber chords without damaging the back (and without it taking two years).  Any suggestions?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline RyanY

Re: removing dry hickory bark?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 11:35:45 am »
I usually start by wedging the draw knife close to the cambium under the bark at one end. If I start off right I’ve gotten large portions of the bark to just pop off. The rest can be scraped off pretty easily without damaging the back.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:55:57 am »
I wouldn't use a hammer and chisel, too easy to cut a gouge into the sapwood below the bark.

I made a mistake and cut a pile of hickory past the mid summer, the bark was not slipping off easily, I got out my drawknife and started slicing, when I got down to the cambium layer I draw knifed most of it off until the sapwood back was peaking out in a few places. I use a scraper to carefully  remove cambium to expose the back.

I had 17 staves, it took me two weeks to get them all down to the pristine back, I chased the grain on a few that I had violated the grain on.

Offline HH~

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 09:24:47 pm »
Yeah, nuthin worse than peeling dryed on hickory bark. Must be done while summer green or yer in deep kimchee.

Hedge~
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:01:36 pm by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:31:56 pm »
I feel your pain Eric, that's a lot of work> (been there myself many times:)

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:18:48 pm »
I wouldn't use a hammer and chisel, too easy to cut a gouge into the sapwood below the bark.

I made a mistake and cut a pile of hickory past the mid summer, the bark was not slipping off easily, I got out my drawknife and started slicing, when I got down to the cambium layer I draw knifed most of it off until the sapwood back was peaking out in a few places. I use a scraper to carefully  remove cambium to expose the back.

I had 17 staves, it took me two weeks to get them all down to the pristine back, I chased the grain on a few that I had violated the grain on.

been there ... no fun.... I used the same method.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 06:04:35 am »
I do the same thing Eric does. Not much fun. I have several in the garage that I cut in the fall a couple years ago. I didn't have a choice of when to cut it. The bark is like concrete now. They're still sitting there staring at me. I'll probably cut them up for the smoker before I'll take the bark off.  :fp

I've taken the bulk of it off with the bandsaw with success. Going at it from angles to reduce the chance of violating the sapwood. It saves a lot of work, but there's more risk involved.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 07:43:34 am »
I used a draw knife for mine but something I want to try is get the hard bark off and use a pressure washer to remove the cambium. Bjrogg does this and says it works great
In the woods I find my peace

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 11:06:15 am »
Well, I just ordered a stouter draw-knife.  Maybe I'll be headed to the car wash in a week or so.   ;D  Wish me luck, and thanks, Allyn, for the upper-body workout.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 02:21:53 pm »
I never tried it but since it is literally the sap holding the bark on like cement.. I wonder if heating the bark with a heat gun might help.. a buddy brought me some hickory the other day that was cut last week of fall... it certainly won't pop off like a summer cut... its still wet too.. I might just try to heat it with the gun just to see if it might help getting it started anyway... gut

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 04:08:03 pm »
Now you see why I shipped it with bark on lol, that woulda been a lot of work for me : )
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 09:42:01 pm »
Yeah the pressure washer thing doesn’t work... at least it didn’t for me... I used a real proper pressure washer and all it did was get the stave wet  :-\
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 09:55:28 pm »
If you want to be extra careful and thorough you can do it this way... draw knife all the bark and most of the cambium being careful not to touch the actual wood with the draw knife, but get as close as you can. Then get a kettle of boiling water and pour it over a section. While the cambium is still hot and wet you can use a spoon to scrape it off and get a pristine back. It's tedious but it works and you wont have any nicks or violations on your back.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 11:32:10 am »
I have used Weylin's method, and it seems like the best for me.  "Tedious but it works" beats "tedious but it mostly works" by a lot!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:08:27 pm by TimBo »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »
OK, I'll give that a shot.  Thanks for the input, guys.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour