Author Topic: Indirect percussion observation *paging Jack Crafty*  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Indirect percussion observation *paging Jack Crafty*
« on: April 13, 2021, 12:12:15 pm »

The top pic shows my indirect percussion tool with a worn out “tip”.  I was experiencing a steady decline in the size and quality(?) of the flakes being removed from my work pieces.  I started to blame the quality of my rock and then just became frustrated with myself.  Last night I changed out the little bit to one that I had salvaged from another tool that had broken and low and behold giant flakes started peeling away.  The frustration was gone and knapping became much more enjoyable!  I’m hoping Jack Crafty can chime in here and maybe give us some insight or tips on proficiency with indirect percussion.  The new tip is about half the size on the business end so maybe that makes a difference, or maybe it’s that it’s just a longer lever?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Indirect percussion observation *paging Jack Crafty*
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 03:11:37 am »
If the business end is 1/2 the size of the previous bit, then the force is being concentrated (doubled). The concentration of force allows the flakes to be initiated (started) easier. You can also hit twice as hard and have the same effect but making the tip smaller is much easier on the arms.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr