Author Topic: Bamboo backed Ipe recurve take down... tiller check  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Tommy D

Bamboo backed Ipe recurve take down... tiller check
« on: April 13, 2021, 04:53:32 pm »
This is a bamboo backed Ipe take with a fiberglass  >:D take-down sleeve in the middle. I recurved the tips with kerfs and an ash “wedge” in the gap. It is 67” and 45lb at 27” as shown in the gif. Was aiming for 29” - wondering if it needs some more bend towards the tips?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:38:48 pm by Tommy D »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo backed Ipe recurve take down... tiller check
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:31:38 pm »
Shoots like a semi-auto.  ;D  Will you post a still full draw. Hard to see the tiller in the action shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:42:45 pm »

I’ve added a braced and still unstrung image too. It’s taken about 2 inches of set.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 06:07:08 pm »
Just realised the full draw pic didn’t up load

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:10:34 pm by Tommy D »

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:27:01 pm »
Pic of the width profile and some info about the starting unbraced profile would be helpful. Is it taking set anywhere?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:31:24 pm »
Tiller looks pretty good to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 07:50:27 am »
Here is the only pic I have before tillering of the original profile. I would say it has take 2 inches of set. It is 11/4 tapering to 3/8th at the tips.
Attached a photo of back profile too.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:26:05 am »
That seems like a lot of set for that style bow and wood combo. At this point I’d just work the areas that haven’t taken set. Looks like maybe the outer limbs need some work.

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 09:37:50 am »
Took a little but that does not make it a great shooting bow. Looks like it took most in the inner third. Was that boo planned and tapered out to the tips? Not big need to flip a bow like this I dont think other than just going thru the process of doing it. You will not see a performance difference in most cases. May give you a tad smaller full brace profile which may help if you hunting brush or in a tree.  Looks like a solid bow to me. Hows it shoot?

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:53:01 am »
Well it shoots pretty nicely - thinning the tips helped quite a bit with some of the vibrations it had. I would tend to agree that flipping the tips like that is probably more hassle than its worth. I made it for my brother who likes that look. I think some of the perceived set may have happened when I did the take down handle. I think I certainly have a tendency to not get them moving enough towards the outer third first. I will slowly take a little bit more off towards the outer sides.

Does anyone notice a difference in how much set a bamboo backed bow takes based on what glue was used or is all of this simply down to tillering?

I used epoxy. Have never tried Urac but wonder if it’s worth a go.

Offline HH~

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 08:21:00 am »
Was it wood laminating epoxy? you can use stuf like tight bod and hide glue but the lams must be finished smooth on both sides. Lam epoxies require a rough 36-46 grit finish for most part.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline elisonj

• Make it bend
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 08:31:34 am »
Love it.  :D