Author Topic: Quivers, stiffening rod vs no rod?  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Quivers, stiffening rod vs no rod?
« on: April 15, 2021, 04:39:44 pm »
I'm thinking the last thing I need is another quiver but probably going to make one or two from last years bear hide.

For a plains style quiver, what's the pros and cons of a stiffening rod?

I didn't use one in my bobcat quivers and they seem to hug the shafts better, but they kind of crumple in the middle when carrying.

Thanks guys.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Quivers, stiffening rod vs no rod?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 06:10:46 pm »
I think the rod prevents the crumple  (-P
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:57:56 am »
   Yes, I have made and used both...I prefer the rod which stops the collapsing of the quiver around my shafts...It makes it much easier to slide a shaft out without the shoulders of a point hanging up in a fold...Also if you have a bow quiver above, it will add extra weight and collapse the arrow quiver further...Attached are a few photo's showing a loaded quiver with bow and an empty quiver without a bow...The stick keeps it supported in both cases allowing me to slide arrows in or out in any situation, even when it's laying beside me while I'm tucked in the brush...Hope this helps, JMO...
                                                                                                                                                                Don

Picture #2  shows the bow out and the quiver is not collapsed by it's weight, still allowing great access to my arrows...

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:02:31 pm »
Thanks guys,  I appreciate the advice and the photos.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 12:57:33 pm »
I like using a stiffening stick also. It not only keeps the quiver from collapsing but you can add accessories like a possible bag to the stick.
This is a coyote quiver I made for the raffle table at the Classic a few years ago. The coyote face possibles bag is attached to the stiffening stick with a few thongs for easy on and off. The stiffening stick on this one is 1" bamboo. I made a plug for the open end as a stash place for whatever. Usually I just use a sourwood shoot shaft.

...and this is another coyote quiver with the possibles bag attached and detached...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 06:01:53 pm »
 I like that one Pat, it's beautiful...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:15 pm »
Thanks, Donald. Your's is pretty nice too.  :OK
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:28:32 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:27:39 pm »
Thanks for those close ups, Pat, I finally see how the strap attaches.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 09:24:18 am »
Nice sets fellas.Here's another version Mesophillic.
Ties strings are sewn in the seam of the bow case so it can be tied onto the stiffening rod.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »
Really nice work on all those!  Got to get busy and make a couple?
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 01:39:28 am »
Nice sets fellas.Here's another version Mesophillic.
Ties strings are sewn in the seam of the bow case so it can be tied onto the stiffening rod.

I really enjoy seeing your work, Ed.  I wish we were closer cause I'd come over and mow your lawn, chop some firewood,  and maybe even wash your car just to watch you work.  Same deal for Donald and Pat  ;D
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 08:38:21 am »
A gracious offer Mesophilic and thanks but then being retired I would'nt have anything to do to keep me out of trouble.....Ha Ha.
Your welcome to stop over anytime you can work it out.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 01:20:13 pm »
Got a piece of elk, and a full cased red fox hide that would be neat!  Seems like either JEB, or jp51(?) posted a build along here not too long ago.  Have to look in Jim Hamm's book as well.  Of course, finding my round tuit and stay withit to get the job done timely; in addition to mowing, planting and tending the garden, hunting and fishing, and the inevitable "do list"!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 04:53:39 pm »
...the quiver of Ötzi had a stiffening rod and the usefulness of such has not changed for millennia.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 09:34:18 am »
   Yes, I have made and used both...I prefer the rod which stops the collapsing of the quiver around my shafts...It makes it much easier to slide a shaft out without the shoulders of a point hanging up in a fold...Also if you have a bow quiver above, it will add extra weight and collapse the arrow quiver further...Attached are a few photo's showing a loaded quiver with bow and an empty quiver without a bow...The stick keeps it supported in both cases allowing me to slide arrows in or out in any situation, even when it's laying beside me while I'm tucked in the brush...Hope this helps, JMO...
                                                                                                                                                                Don

Picture #2  shows the bow out and the quiver is not collapsed by it's weight, still allowing great access to my arrows...

It's a good use of the varmints and critters just as the native americans did long ago.Without that siffener broadheads get hung up exiting for me while hunting.Not so much with field tips.
BowEd
Ed