Author Topic: Belly split  (Read 986 times)

Offline Fox

Belly split
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:04:11 pm »
I've never really even thought much about belly splits cause I rarely have big enough staves. Here is my last piece of osage that I gotta make a bow for someone else... I then realized it's 3" by 3" on the small side... so is this a candidate for a belly split? its been seasoned for a year not sure if that matters or not for this.....

How do you guys go about this? (without a bandsaw)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

Re: Belly split
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 02:08:37 pm »
oh pictures...

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:11:34 pm »
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 02:36:08 pm »

A little bit too much character/irregular for me to belly split that stave, if it was mine.
Not saying it can't be done successfully, just that the risk is greater than the reward.   The top split would have thin rings. The black checks on one side of the stave  might also pose an issue for the belly split.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 03:35:25 pm »
First thing to do is clean up the sides and see how deep the cracks go. The black stuff is from old cracks before the tree came down probably.  If anything I think I'd split or saw off the top thin rings if there is enough below for a bow. If you are lucky the thin ring stuff might make a bendy handle bow or a belly lam for a backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:10:30 pm »
Prolly not unless yer making a kids bow.

HH`
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:27:09 pm »
I guess first thing I do is chase a ring for back of bow. Give yourself plenty for first bow to be able to get anything you want.

I use almost all hand tools just cause I like them for the job. For me belly splits can be a way of rapid reducing my stave. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they can end in disaster. Most of the time I feel like it works and I get the chance for another bow and some rapid reduction.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise