Author Topic: Bare fingers?  (Read 8851 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Bare fingers?
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:05:09 am »
So I had my first real shooting session with my bow last night and my hands are torn up. I'm shooting off the knuckle and the fletchings tore a chunk out and on my string hand I have a blood blister. My question is do I have to make some leather guards or will I get callous eventually. Also does a finger tab provide a better release?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bare fingers?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:13:20 am »
Wrap the forward end of the fletching with thin thread and set in glue. Make sure it is smooth. A tab or glove will add protection for your fingers and tendons. If properly fit it will also give you a better release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:30:22 am »
So you make your tab as narrow as possible?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 06:12:22 pm »
Once the feathers are glued down take a sharp razor and trim the quill down so it's smooth then wrap it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:17:06 pm »
I didn't make these, if I sand the end and put a dab of glue on em do you think that would work

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 11:54:33 pm »
It will help but not as good as a wrap. IMO The smoother the transition the less injuries.  :OK

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 01:00:16 am »
So you make your tab as narrow as possible?

I guess it depends on which way you are thinking of as 'narrow'. You don't want much leather sticking out past the tips of your fingers when they are curled into the drawing position. If you search youtube for 'trimming an archery tab' you should find a fair number of videos on how to do it.

Mark

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:18 am »
Less injury is my goal lol. Thanks mark I'll search it. Just bought a roll of leather to make some

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 09:19:27 am »
Also, add a "floppy rest" at the handle. It feels like you are shooting off your hand but will help keep prevent hand damage from the arrow.
Here are directions to make it...

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 10:03:55 am »
I remember that!
I used that on a few of my bows, I should try that again.
Does 'The Ferret' have an account here?  I remember he was an active writer for PA a few years back.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:09:31 pm »
Could also cut up an old work glove leaving the thumb, cuff, and forefinger.  Ugly, but it protects your bow hand.
Hawkdabcer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 06:41:45 pm »
"The Ferret", Mickey Lotz used to come to PA occasionally. Unfortunately, he's gotten away from archery over the years. Mickey brought a lot to the traditional archery community as a wood bow builder and hunter...and inventor of practical archery stuff.  :BB

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 06:55:52 pm »
Whatever Mr. Lotz is doing these days, he is probably doing it well. Folks come and go as their interests are satisfied and new ones get the itch.

When I first started fooling with bows over 20 years ago I heard about a guy named Murray Gaskins that made some pretty nice bows. A few years ago I ran into a falconer with the same name and asked if he was the same. He laughed and said it was his dirty little secret! I guess his "arrows" replace their own fletching these days!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HH~

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 07:27:57 pm »
From selfbows to the sport of Arab Kings. Interesting. Or as i like to call em, pigeon hunters.

HH~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:39 pm »
I believe Murray Gaskin was from GA and made lots of hickory bows and sold hickory staves. Has it been that long ago, John?