Author Topic: Bare fingers?  (Read 8754 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bare fingers?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 01:12:56 pm »
I believe Murray Gaskin was from GA and made lots of hickory bows and sold hickory staves. Has it been that long ago, John?

Yup, that's the guy.  But he's still retaining that primitive archer ethos in that he freely shares his experience with those that need help. Nice guy.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 11:29:36 am »
Hey, Allyn, I have a bow glove (to protect your bow hand) that nobody's using; I'd be happy to send it your way if you want it.  PM me.

I've dabbled with bare-finger shooting a few times, and it isn't worth it to me.  I use a damascus-style glove.  It's pretty light, I can still feel the string, but it keeps my fingers from getting sore.  On my fishing bow, I use those soft rubber finger protectors, and they work surprisingly well...well enough that I've considered adding them to my hunting bows, too.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:26 am »
I have been shooting bare finger for several years now, it took a little while but my fingers are tough from 40+ years of mechanic work plus what I do around the shop and farm so didn't take to long. I love it, 1 less thing to worry about. ;) I shot a tab and glove for years and it seemed about the time they really felt good they were worn out, no problem with that now. As far as bow hand i have a small shelf but the front of the feathers do touch my hand as they pass, I like Pat always make sure before I shoot an arrow the front of the feathers are smooth , sometimes wrap them and sometimes just roll them with a round screw driver and compress them ,then add a small dab of glue. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 02:03:38 pm »
... about the time they really felt good they were worn out...

I don't know, Pappy, I kind of feel that way about my body as a whole--figured out how to use it just in time for stuff to start giving out.  ha ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 10:06:54 pm »
Well I bought a roll of leather and made a finger tab bit now after reading what pappy wrote I think I wanna toughen up my fingers. I also had a guy tell me if the fletching was cutting me my nock point was too low so I moved it up and it helped on my bow hand a lot! Now I just need to worry about fixing my string slap problem. Thanks for the offer Thomas but I think I'm good on the glove now
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 08:38:32 am »
I feel the same way WB,  Don't over do it to start Allyn, take your time and in a few weeks/month they will toughen up. As far as arm slap, you might adjust your grip a bit to get the string off your arm,moving your palm out a little to give you more clearance, some shoot with a bent elbow , I don't like doing that myself but works for some. My elbow has been broken in 6 places so my arm has a natural bend anyway but I lock it the best I can, if I try shooting with it not locked I throw the arrows left at the shot release.  :) I don't use a tab/glove or arm guard except when hunting with heavy cloth, then I use an arm guard to keep my sleeve out of the way. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 05:55:27 pm »
My hands get cold easy so I shoot in the same gloves I wear hunting.