Author Topic: String slap  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
String slap
« on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:48 am »
Is the only way to prevent string slap raising the brace height?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String slap
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 09:14:35 am »
Bend your bow arm elbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 10:21:43 am »
Ok so I'll have to practice more lol. With my compund I always bent my arm after the draw so maybe I need to settle in then release

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 11:30:10 am »
Fast flight strings keep the string off your arm more than B-50 type strings because of the low stretch.

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:29:01 pm »
Form issues does this.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 08:58:28 pm »
Where is it hitting your arm? I know I have recently been working on my shoulder alignment which helps with string slap. If you are interested, google "Arne Moe Archery" and watch some of his videos. He is a USA Archery Level 4 NTS coach and he explains bow arm alignment really well.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 01:15:08 pm »
Bend your bow arm elbow.

+1

never have a problem with string slap when I have good back tension and an elbow just bent enough to keep out of the strings reach
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:16:06 pm »
I'm hoping with practice it becomes a non issue. I def need to do a lot more shooting

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 08:49:13 am »
Not about bending your elbow, its alighnment of shoulder and how your front side pronates the elbow. Yer wheely guys often shoot with elbow pointing down. With that shoulder/elbow position with a trad bow you'll get string slap. Pronate elbow on fronstside out to 9 Oclock  using the shoulder. I think there are some video's where fella comes up to RMS from Colo SPRGS and does a good form pointer. Could be Moe or some other Olypic Trnr.

Or you can  hump up like a monkey on a beachball and shoot sideways. See this all the time. I always wonder how they do that out a climber in a tight spot in cedar tree?
HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 02:51:55 pm »
Well that's prolly why my elbow is pointing down I've only ever shot compound

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 04:44:24 pm »
Elbow straight down?   Experiment with different degrees of canting /    That should roll that forearm out the way for you...

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 09:32:30 am »
I have an arm that finds the string, every time I shoot, I am just built that way. 60 years of shooting every conceivable way possible had convinced me to just live with it. I wear a thin cordura arm guard and shoot low stretch strings to minimize the slap which is a light sting if I shoot without my armguard. If I rotate things to get my arm out of the way my shooting accuracy sufferers greatly.

Growing up as a kid I had a BB gun that shot with a foot dogleg to the left at 20 yards, I didn't use the sights and shot instinctively, a starling head at 30 yards was in danger, I almost never missed, this dogleg was subconsciously imprinted into my brain. So it is with my arm slapping arrow trajectory, I shoot quite well in spite of it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 09:27:02 pm »
arm guard,, :)