Author Topic: Where can I find...?  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Where can I find...?
« on: May 02, 2021, 11:41:22 pm »
I was gifted a Pedersoli Flintlock pistol.

Here's my theory...a pirate in the deserts on New Mexico shot a victim, and when he didn't die fast enough,  he beat him to hell and back with the pistol.  Then threw it in a trash can.

The facts are, the pistol was abused and thrown in the trash.  Stock broke on half, ramrod shattered, trigger guard all bent up, and missing a chunk of wood under one of the side plates.

Anyone know where I can get a new stock for this?  And maybe the trigger guard?

Etched on the barrel:
Pedersoli Model PD23339

Kentucky Flintlock pistol is the closest match I can find online.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Where can I find...?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 01:03:33 am »
-Homer Simpson-

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 05:54:05 am »
I would start with Dixie Gun Works. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:04 am »
You can straighten the trigger guard, heat it up and quench it in water to soften it, brass takes the opposite treatment to soften than steel.

I looked around and couldn't find a replacement stock, you could contact Pedersoli to see if they sell spare stocks. Pecotonica would probably make you a precarve but it would take some gunsmithing skills fit the parts together.

You could glue the wood parts back together and fill in the missing wood. I have seen some amazing restorations on the ALR site by guys who really know what they are doing.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:34:59 am »
I posted your picture on the Muzzleloader Forum in the handgun section to see if any of the experts have a spare stock or know where to get one. This will reach thousands of guys and one will probably have a stock or know where to get one.

Do you have an gun building skills?

I shrunk your picture to make it easier to view;

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:24:39 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Eric, my gun building experience comes modern Lego style guns.  I think I could glue this stock back together and add some hidden pins to reinforce the glue line but it would be a nicer option if I could replace it at a reasonable price.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 05:24:26 pm »
The post on the M/L forum came up with mostly glue it back together but one guy offered this site as a dealer for Pedersoli parts, you could give them a call and se what they say.

http://www.flintlocksetc.com/

One guy pointed out the trigger was bent as well, no big deal to straighten out and make it fit the straightened trigger guard.

I cold forge my own triggers on single trigger guns, it is actually fun.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:28:09 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 06:25:56 pm »
Thanks for the help, Eric.  That trigger does look fun...I bet I could do one.

I made some phone calls that all ended with emailing Pedersoli.   Pedersoli got back with me and said the SN dates to 2004 but it's been too long and they can't tell me the model.  So I sent them some pictures per their request and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

In the meantime, I glued the stock back together with some G Flex epoxy, once that cures and it's out of the clamps I'll work on a fill for a section of missing wood under the left side plate.

I do need to find or make a tiny punch to drive out the pins that hold the ramrod tubes in place so I can sand and refinish.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 07:53:11 pm »
You can straighten the trigger guard, heat it up and quench it in water to soften it, brass takes the opposite treatment to soften than steel.

Remember when you posted this brass annealing procedure?

Well #### it, I forgot about it and snapped the trigger guard >:(
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 09:27:42 pm »
You could braise it back together and file is back to shape.

I forgot to soften a trigger and gave it a little bend, it snapped. I used solder paste to put it back together with a scarf joint. I bought a new trigger, some day I will change the patched one out with the new one, some day.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 11:34:46 pm »
I think this guard is too far gone.  It was bent in multiple dimensions and now there's a gap of a quarter inch between the broken ends when I line it up with the screw holes.

Found one at Track of the Wolf that looks like it might work.

Stock is looking ok, so if I only have to spend fifteen bucks on a trigger guard then I'll be happy.  Well, it'll be more than fifteen I'm sure, cause I'm sure I'll need to find a few more goodies to make the shipping worth it  ;D
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 03:29:25 am »
Developing new skills as you go!  Remember to double check each move before you make it!  The epoxy should give you a sturdy repair, you may have to do a bit of refitting though.  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 09:41:29 am »
You can use a small finishing nail to drive out the pins, little punches are cheap and easy to find as well.

I was going top suggest a new trigger guard from Track.

I drilled an errant trigger guard pin hole, plugged it with a toothpick and drilled a proper hole. When I inserted the pin it found the old hole and chipped a huge splintered chunk out of the lock molding. I had all the splinters and chips so I glued everything back together with wood glue and wrapped the area with string to act as a clamp.

Here is how it went the cracked wood doesn't show;

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 11:23:14 pm »
Well, I got all my gluing and filling done, stock is sanded.  Had to deepen the pocket on the left side for the side plate, but everything seems to fit well. 

I'm  going to wait until I get a trigger guard before staining and finishing,  just in case there's any alterations to be done.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 02:18:42 am »
I hope it shoots well for you!  BP is lots of fun, pistol, rifle and shotgun! Btw, what caliber is the pistol?
The price seemed to be right!  I built a .45 for my wife from a Spanish Jukar barrel, with the help of an experienced gunmaker.  Made the stock from scratch, not real neat, but it hits the mountain every time, not sure about the barn, though (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry