Author Topic: Where can I find?...part 2  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Where can I find?...part 2
« on: May 05, 2021, 06:20:45 pm »
My .50 TC Hawken flintlock hammer broke today.  Called TC and they said they don't make them anymore or parta.

Having a real difficult time locating a replacement hammer.

Anyone know if I can install one from a different manufacturer?  Saw something about seapping it with a Lyman hammer.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Where can I find?...part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:15:58 pm »
Make friends with a machinist or blacksmith?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 03:18:03 am »
+2!  Dang progress!   Gunworks, or Track of the Wolf, maybe.  Eric Krewson may have a contact, or Jack Brooks in Englewood, CO.  I will have to dig up his contact info!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:53:38 am »
I think it is the Lyman frizzen that people put on a TC don't know abut the hammer, There is a new style and old style TC hammer, both fit, the new style is easier on flints.

I will look on the internet around to see what I can find.

I asked the question over at the ML Forum, those guys will know if one is available or if another brand will fit.

I have put a L&R replacement lock in a TC Renegade, it isn't even close to being a drop in and takes some serious gunsmithing skills and about a week for me to install.

Here is the finished product if you eventually go this route, it is a much better lock than the TC.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:14:56 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:34:58 am »
Thanks again Eric, I'm fairly new to this hobby and it's been an interesting learning curve.

On Track of the Wolf I found a replacement lock by L&R.  I spoke to L&R on the phone yesterday and the lock plate is supposed to match with only a minimal amount of wood needing to be removed from inside the stock for fitting.  Hammer looks much more robust, too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:48:04 am by Mesophilic »
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:10:24 pm »
Here you go, I found one, I have done business with these folk, good people, turns out they bought out all the TC parts long ago.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=155&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 01:08:09 pm »
Awesome!  Going to call them right now.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 02:31:22 pm »
L&R RPL lock swap, they lied to you.

Move the barrel back, cut off the ramrod under rib a little, drill a new lock bolt hole, a blind hole to perfectly hit the lock bolt fixture on the L&R lock bridal, grind off the back of the breech so the new bolt location can clear it, completely inlet the lock mortise for the flintlock internals and most of all send the L&R lock back twice to fix major flaws.

I could have done a sloppy job much easier but I wanted the touch hole at the perfect sunset centered position in relation to the pan and a minimum amount of shims glued in to fill any gaps. I did have to shim a gap at the tail of the lock, you can see it in the finished picture.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:38:17 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 07:52:15 pm »
WelI called The Gun Works and they had the hammer I needed so thankfully I won't have to do any modifications.

I asked if they had the hammers that superseded the broken version, and they did.  Also said they have the original style that breaks if I wanted to break another one  ;D. I like a company with a sense of humor.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:58:03 am »
The Gun Works are Great to deal with.  :OK
Bought more than a few things from them over the years. Glad they are still in business.  :)