Author Topic: Let’s build something crazy! Ash Wing Bow (EXPLODED)  (Read 12756 times)

Offline RyanY

Let’s build something crazy! Ash Wing Bow (EXPLODED)
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:46:14 pm »
Driving back from the classic, sleep deprived and hypnotized by the road, I was contemplating future bows to be made. Thinking to myself, what would be a more interesting shape for a paddle bow, I see a raptor fly over head. I get a crazy idea, "what if I made a bow limb in the shape of a wing?" Could it work? Thinking to my limited bow wood supply I recalled a piece of ash I had not used for backing strips due to the curving of the grain that could be a perfect fit. Over the last few days I got started on what will hopefully become a bow with limbs shaped like wings!

Please let me know if you think it'll work, won't work, how poorly it'll perform, what problems I'll face, and if you think I'm downright crazy.  ;D

I started by planing the ash to make sure the grain was straight and luckily it was. I was also surprised to see some beautiful fine figure which will hopefully not cause any issues. I then drew out the shape on paper that I taped to the board. I drew out the handle and centerline of the limb and approximated the shape of a wing. Osprey seem to have some cool looking wings and a google search resulted in lots of inspiration. I started out with a bow 66" ntn but felt the proportions of the limb were a bit too stretched out.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 01:24:01 pm by RyanY »

Offline RyanY

Re: Lets build something crazy! Ash Wing Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:50:20 pm »
Decided to shorten it to 62" ntn. The widest portions of the limb are around 3" wide but with the "feathers" carved in it'll be a bit narrower. I am considering the working portions of the limb to be at the narrowest spots. The handle is 4" long with 3" "fades" that will widen to the wider portion of the limb. I cut out the template and draw the profile onto the board.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:53:19 pm »
Cut it out on the bandsaw. No going back now!  :o  Got a bit worried because this ash felt a bit light for some reason. Did I mention this is my first time working ash? After looking through some maple boards at the big box store for a different project the ash felt a bit heavier. This board was acquired from a saw mill, rough sawn, so it is a bit over 1" thick which is great.

I use a spoke shave for bring the profile to the line.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56:32 pm »
With the spokeshave I use it at an angle to get to the line on the face of the board. I then flatten it out a bit on that side and then do the same to the other side creating a crown/ridge that can be removed more easily than taking full passes on the flat edge. For the spots I can't reach with the spokeshave I use my very handy drum sander.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 09:00:18 pm »
I draw some lines for thickness along the edge. Starting about 1/2" at the end of the fade tapering to 7/16" around mid limb till 3/4 of the way from the fade and then back to 1/2" at the tip. I knew from other bows that this would be a good starting thickness. I increased the thickness toward the tip as I will be adding some reflex at the tips for the wing effect.

I cut the limb thickness on the band saw making sure to angle the board so that the blade doesn't wander into the belly. Initial floor tiller right off the band saw looks okay. Bending a bit more in the inner limb than I like to start.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 09:06:26 pm »
I sharpen up my spokeshave as I'll be going for a flat belly which is difficult to achieve with a flat bottom spokeshave. I remove wood to the lines I drew initially. The draw knife helps near the handle and fade area.

Floor tiller looked good so I put it on the tree. First bend pictured. Got it bending to 23" pulling about 35# with a bit more wood removal.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 09:09:58 pm »
A wing shaped bow needs to have a gullwing profile right? I was told those are the rules. Used a trash bag to trap the steam and put a 1.5" block under the handle hoping it would spring back a bit for some very mild handle reflex. Poke a small hole in the bag to drain the water that accumulates. That's it for today. Hopefully will get a bit further this week. Next I'll reflex the tips.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 11:05:42 pm »
You're crazy alright, may be crazy enough to work.  :o 

Go easy, the figure in the ash may fret.  The untold story with boards is that wrinkled grain that doesn't splinter on the back may well crumble on the belly.  As for the design, remember the bowyers' rules of thumb.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 02:14:29 am »
That is just plain crazy....but nothing wrong with a bit of crazy :)

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 04:08:20 am »
this indeed is a fun project - thanx for sharing - that shape of the limbs certainly will not really help the function but  it will be eyecatcher for sure.  ;) those ash-backings certainly tolerate some grain runoff and if you keep poundage a little lower there won't be problems anyway. If you look at the posts of b2w you will find a backed bow where he cut the backing similarly along the grain...  :OK
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 06:40:39 am »
 (-P

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 06:42:34 am »
+1  (-P
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 08:07:40 am »
 (-P.....I like the train of thought Ryan.Many indigenus cultures looked to mother nature for guidance.Very good pictorial steps shown.
I like your work shop tools there too.A drum sander to own has been something I've thought about for a long long time.
PS.....Were'nt you the one who showed a very wide bendy handled 50# pine bow from a board long ago?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:35:08 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 08:57:40 am »
Neat idea. Wonder if scalloped bows evolved from such thought processes. Only problem I see such a design will only work to bow fish with (lol)  ::)
Good luck on it
Mike 

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 09:02:28 am »
Me thanks you do need more sleep :P

(-P
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.