Author Topic: Let’s build something crazy! Ash Wing Bow (EXPLODED)  (Read 12757 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: Lets build something crazy! Ash Wing Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 10:03:37 am »
i'm watching with wonder!
Don

Offline TimBo

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 10:35:59 am »
Yep...that will be a crazy ash bow.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 10:57:46 am »
Thanks All. I am certainly worried about the integrity of the curly grain. It seems somewhat fine so I'm hoping I can get away with it. I was considering a concave belly cross section but with the grain being the way that it is I will stick with a flat belly. I have had some success with very wide flat bows in the past so hopefully this will be the same. I will be going for a light poundage, around 35#@27-28" if I can manage. I am hoping to get the handle working just a hair or at least working into the fades somewhat.

Mike, Scalloped bows were definitely in mind when considering this design. Maybe I should have started there. I am a bit worried about the integrity of the "feathers" sticking out from the limb. I want to make them thin enough to not be massive but not so thin that they break off.

Mark, I certainly do need more sleep. Took me a few days to recover from the classic. I think your mulberry stave will become another paddle bow as well!

Ed, if it was the poplar bow that Blackhawk challenged me to build that was 60% working limb and 40% lever then yes.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:38:36 am by RyanY »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:01 pm »
Oh, hawk yeah!!!

BTW, nice photo of an osprey. Note how the smallest toe on the outside of the feet swivels around to work like a second halux, or thumb. It's the only diurnal raptor that does this. It is a feature shared with owls and parrots.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 12:30:53 pm »
I think it’s good to try some irregular ideas.  It’s supposed to be fun!
1’—>1’

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 01:30:55 pm »
Very unique, I appluad your creativity.  I’m rooting for you.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 10:29:00 pm »
Got the reflex at the handle and tips put in. Reflex starts about is about 8” from the tip and at the center of the handle. Total reflex is about 3” behind the handle so a bit more than I wanted for overall stress but I am hoping some will come out if I get the handle working just a bit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:58:28 am by RyanY »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 10:34:08 pm »
Is that humidifier hot enough to give steam? mine just gives off vapor, not nearly 212 f.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 10:39:39 pm »
It’s surprisingly hot. I was watching it today and there were small bubbles that looked like they were boiling off the surface of the wood. Only took about 10min of heating to bend these spots that are about 7/16-1/2” thick.

Offline Fractured

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 02:23:03 am »
Is that humidifier hot enough to give steam? mine just gives off vapor, not nearly 212 f.

That’s a steamer not a humidifier.  Used to steam clothing.  Gets hot!  😁

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 08:28:08 am »
Your the man Ryan, if anyone can pull that off you can, ;) watching and waiting. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RyanY

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 09:25:54 pm »
Thanks Pappy!

I started getting the bow bending trying to get the bend I want before doing other modifications. Initially drawing about 33lbs at 20". Pictured is my setup for wide flat bellied bows. Sharp spokeshave, paste wax, and scraper. I mark the limb heavily where I want to remove wood and then take a pass with the spokeshave. Every few passes I wipe on some wax to keep it smooth. I use the scraper after to get out any tool marks left by the spokeshave. One pass like this on this limb section lowered draw weight by about 1lb at the same draw length.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 09:29:09 pm »
Scraper wasn't sharp enough so I put a new edge on it. I draw file the edge and just use a screwdriver as a burnisher. With this figured wood, it still wants to tear out in spite of having a very sharp spokeshave so it needs a decent amount of scraping. The figure wants to catch the scraper similar to the early wood in porous woods like oak or osage. Using it at an angle helps keep from getting a washboard effect on the belly.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 09:31:32 pm »
A few more passes with the spokeshave and the tiller is close to where I want it. The pictures don't look as different as it did standing in front of it.  ::) Pulling 31lb at 20" before the next step.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 09:34:14 pm »
A wing shaped bow needs a wing shaped cross section right? Again, I was told these are the rules.  ;D I mark out some lines where I will remove a "chamfer" to start approximating an airfoil like shape similar to a wing. I filled in a section to show what wood will be removed.