Author Topic: What to use when wrapping sinew backed bows?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline wstanley

What to use when wrapping sinew backed bows?
« on: May 12, 2021, 01:48:53 pm »
Hi all,

What do you all use when wrapping your sinew after backing a bow? I would like to use an old bed sheet cut into a long strip, but I am afraid it will stick to the sinew. I will be using sinew glue. Thanks.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: What to use when wrapping sinew backed bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 02:24:21 pm »
There is no need to wrap the sinew that has been applied. What are you looking to achieve with wrapping?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:32:16 pm »
Experimental, read a few accounts that the Miwok and other tribes in California would wrap their bows after sinew backing, with cordage. Seems like it might condense the fibers making it a "snappier", maybe not purely assumption.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 02:56:23 pm »
Some Miwok bows have some awesome "hooks" on the ends of the limbs, sharp recurves. The sinew and hide glue dries from the outside in. That means the outside of the sinew is going to begin to shrink before the inside starts to even think about shrinking, and this can pull the sinew up and off the recurved segments of the limb. Wrapping the sinew with cordage or other natural material prevents this from happening so that the glue/sinew interface with the wood fibers will set/harden without gapping or completely pulling off.

On the recurved tip bows I have sinewed, the last step for me has been to do sinew and hide glue wraps on the curved portions. Sometimes I leave the sinew wrapping on the belly, sometimes I have sanded it off and trusted the molecular adhesion to do what it will.

Feel free to follow cultural tradition with appropriate materials, or riff on it with modern techniques and materials as you see fit. All comes down to what pleases you and helps you achieve what you want with the particular bow.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 03:15:40 pm »
Thanks, good advice.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 03:57:35 pm »
No need to wrap as long as the environment is not to arid, winter is the best time to sinew as it will dry slower and not create drying checks.   Including reflex into the bow not only prevents lifting of the sinew as it dries, but also “ pre tensions” the sinew so it will stretch more and be more efficient per added weight.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 04:04:56 pm »
Thanks all. I got a couple reflexed juniper bows awaiting sinew application. From what ya'll say I will continue as I had in the past just applying sinew and letting it dry as is.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 04:15:19 pm »
Most people  struggle to apply sinew smoothly, wrapping can turn a mess into glassy smoothness.

The best all around wrap is something like vetwrap which is a  crepe type support wrap. It sticks to itself and can easily be peeled off a gelled sinew matrix.

If you buy the black color you can place the wrapped bow in the sun for a few minutes and it will  completely smooth and compact your backing matrix.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 04:27:52 pm »
Thanks Pat. I will keep that in mind.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 05:01:35 pm »
I've used strips of old bed sheets to wrap sinew and rawhide backings but remove the wrap after a few hours and the hide glue has gelled. This way the sinew is smoother and the wrap removed before it is stuck fast.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 11:19:24 pm »
I use saran wrap right over the sinew and cinch it down with an ace bandage. I get a mostly smooth surface. I have sanded this surface to be very smooth and not look like sinew at all.

That said, I haven't made many sinew bows so I am not an expert but like everything else I do I do it a bit differently than everyone else just to se what will happen. I found sinew to be a lot of work for a small gain.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:22:37 pm by Eric Krewson »

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 02:58:38 am »
You only get small gains if you don't prestress it enough. This is the issue with sinew and wood....the wood simply can't take anywhere near what the sinew can. Yew, osage and juniper allow you to go further than most belly woods will allow.