Author Topic: Eastern Two Fletch  (Read 11420 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Eastern Two Fletch
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 08:53:29 am »
   Plain crystalized tree sap...........................
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 08:54:21 am »
   I have never used turps/turpentine, don't know what may happen...Denatured alcohol will evaporate quickly and leave the crystalized pitch with a clear hard, flexible covering...Like shellac, Pine Pitch Shellac..You may be able to see the pitch shellac covering in the pic...This was applied over a sinew backing...The Shellac darkened the sinew backing and made it very water resistant...
                                                                                                             Don

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:00:27 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 09:51:18 am »
That's a creepy looking bow.  :o

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 06:57:47 pm »
That's an awesome looking bow
In the woods I find my peace

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2021, 06:32:31 am »
That is a cool bow! What kind of talons/claws are those?
Bellaire, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2021, 02:59:43 pm »
 Thanks guy's...Here's a link on the turtle claw handle...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63412.0.html

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 10:02:52 am »
Aside from the end tags your fletching looks exactly like what I used over half a century ago when I made a few arrows for a long bow I made in high school.
Pope stated the only good two vane fletching was on a wind vane but had very good results with mine. I used turkey feathers straight from the bird. I used dental floss to bind the ends.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 10:43:09 am »
Many people today use a two fletch of some sort with good results. Building a proper arrow for your bow and your style of shooting, whether it be 2 fletch, 3 fletch or four fletch is irrelevant. You can get an arrow with Eastern Woodland two fletch to fly as well as any other fletching style but you have to understand arrows, paradox and arrow flight first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 07:57:55 am »
Seems to me that the extra drag of this sort of fletching would act to improve close and mid range accuracy while limiting maximum range a bit.
Close range penetration should also be improved by dampening yaw. The point being more likely to enter cleanly if there's no yaw.
They found that WW2 era armor piercing bullets penetrated better at 200 yards than at closer ranges because by then the yaw had straightened itself out.
Earlier in smoothbore muzzle loader days they tried putting a cord tail on musket balls, the drag of the cord dampening any tendency to roll.
I seem to remember such a tail being tried with arrows at one time, but can't remember details. Perhaps it was ballista bolts instead of arrows. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 02:41:32 pm »

As far as wind drag effect on 2 vs 3 fletch I haven't experienced any difference...I'm a hunter and try to keep my shots under 20 yds. max, so I'm not sure of long range performance...I do also bare shaft tune each arrow from 5 to 15 yards before fletching to make sure I have good arrow flight in close for maximum penetration...My "main concern" is that the helical fletching spins the shaft and point guarding against wind plain or cross winds in a hunting scenario...My arrows are all well over 600 grains...Here's a few link's to a couple in action... 
                                                http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54427.0.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EsTdG_eYTk
                                                                                                                                                         Don                                                                                                                             
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:42:29 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 03:28:54 pm »
That was an awesome bow kill.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 07:08:33 pm »
  Thanks Allen, I haven't forgotten that one hunt out of a thousand before and after...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 04:34:42 am by burchett.donald »

Offline Fox

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 10:30:42 pm »
I just fletched up a shaft with the method you just described.... I've only fletched a few dozen arrows the normal 3 fletch, but practically none of them shot true. And I knew the shafts were good... but the first arrow I fletched eastern 2 fletch shot perfect.... boy that made me so happy ;D.  so ill be fletching up some arrows for this season pretty soon! :)

Thanks for all the super good info on this kind of fletching Donald  :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 09:01:38 am »
   Glad you tried it Fox...!  Appreciate your feedback brother...It worked for the Native Americans, tried and true...Would love to see some pics, keep me posted on your findings...
                                                                                         Don

Offline Fox

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2021, 11:41:50 am »
   Glad you tried it Fox...!  Appreciate your feedback brother...It worked for the Native Americans, tried and true...Would love to see some pics, keep me posted on your findings...
                                                                                         Don

:OK
Why must we make simple things so complicated?