Author Topic: Hawthorn, bow-wood yes or no?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Hawthorn, bow-wood yes or no?
« on: April 28, 2021, 03:08:52 pm »
Ok, so, I have asked this question before and got conflicting answers from very experienced bowyers whom I deeply respect and who's work I greatly admire.  Is hawthorn a high quality bow wood?  I ask this as I have a number of excellent  staves  that I can use in a number of ways as (heresy) archery is only one of my wood-working interests and I wouldn't want to turn a fabulous length of premium hawthorn into a mediocre, or worse, bow when I could use it elsewhere.

Offline capitainepatenaude

Re: Hawthorn, bow-wood yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:41:43 pm »
A couple of years ago, I saw a lot of experimented bowyer pretending that hackberry won't make a bow. Now you can find a lot of really nice hackberry bow on this forum. There's only one way to know for sure if hawthorn will make a bow. Try it or send me a stave 😎.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 03:34:55 am »
For certain it will make a bow but it is prone to explosions if you gte a bit close to the limits. It also takes a bit more set than i'm keen on. Overall I wouldn't go out of my way to find any for bows.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 08:04:00 pm »
I don’t trust it without sinew.   I’ve made one.  I have a few cockspur Hawthorne staves that are seasoned and ready to work.  Probably should make another.   

Offline BoltBows

• Bolt Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 04:21:50 pm »
I need to make one soon... I've been wanting to make one for a while.
My buddy Leon (Leonwoodbows) made one a while back. Crooked shitty piece with knots so he backed it with boo. Thing shoots great!
Things to keep in mind:
- Difficult to get a straight bow length stave.
- Woodworm LOVES it.
- Very tough, heavy and hard to split so I love it for nocks and handles.
- Prone to checking when drying.
Hit me up & see more:
Facebook.com/boltbows
Insta: @BoltBows

Offline airkah

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 04:50:57 pm »
If you already have a bunch of staves, why not try it out on one and see what you think? I think you are getting conflicting opinions because some bow woods work better for some bowyer's styles than others. I really enjoy working with hackberry, red elm, and red oak. I really dislike using walnut or erc. They just don't work well for me but I know some love them and hate the woods I enjoy. I think you have to find out how hawthorn works for you.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 06:04:42 pm »
Because I make harps, crossbows and other stuff that that timber would be excellent for, harp pillar or crossbow tiller for instance, so I don't necessarily want to test whether it makes a bow to find it is indifferent and have lost the wood that could have been great somewhere else.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 10:36:49 pm »
Im fairly sure hawthorn was used throughout history like a higher quality whitewood, but since there doesnt seem to be a tin to go off of i would go for a low stress design.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 02:34:50 am »
If you already have a bunch of staves, why not try it out on one and see what you think? I think you are getting conflicting opinions because some bow woods work better for some bowyer's styles than others. I really enjoy working with hackberry, red elm, and red oak. I really dislike using walnut or erc. They just don't work well for me but I know some love them and hate the woods I enjoy. I think you have to find out how hawthorn works for you.

That is when you do a bend test to elliminate the personal stuff! You may be in for heartbreak if you must try it....been there!