Author Topic: Sturgeon skin prep  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Kidder

Sturgeon skin prep
« on: May 28, 2021, 07:18:31 pm »
I’ve got a friend who is going sturgeon fishing (we have heavily regulated retention fishing in the PNW). I’ve asked him to save any skins he might get. How would one process sturgeon skins for bow backing?

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Sturgeon skin prep
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 08:39:02 pm »
I'd simply remove any remaining meat, fat, gristle, and tack them to a board flesh side out. No need to salt, tan or preserve in any other way. Keep them away from the reach of dogs. They might want to chew on them.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:52:15 pm »
I'd simply remove any remaining meat, fat, gristle, and tack them to a board flesh side out. No need to salt, tan or preserve in any other way. Keep them away from the reach of dogs. They might want to chew on them.
So essentially just clean them, dry them, and they are ready for use?

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 06:32:12 am »
Yep, pretty much. Clean, dry, and then later degrease. If after the skins are dried there's any flesh or fat left on the flesh side, you can gently sand it off. Sturgeon skin is pretty stout. Its like deer rawhide.

On the day I go to use them, I soften them by rehydrating in some in luke warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid and give them a good scrubbing on the flesh side to remove any fat and grease. Then rinse well in fresh water, pat dry with towels, and let them air dry to let excess water evaporate while I finish getting the other stuff ready.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 06:39:40 am »
Kidder, do a search here for 'sturgeon skin' and you'll find some more info on getting them ready, fleshing, stretching, and such.

When you skin them, try to get every inch in length and width possible.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 08:15:16 pm »
If you have a pressure washer with a fan tip it works wonders. Tack the end of the skin to a board with a staple gun and blast away the meat and fat. It takes a second to get the hang of it but it gets them clean! If not a sharp knife and some elbow grease will work too. I tack mine out with a staple gun along the edges, flesh side down. Push pins aren't string enough, when the skins shrinks it pulls them right out. After they're totally dry take them off, remove the staples and rub the flesh side with some acetone to get rid of any oil. Then they should be good to store in a safe dry place away from dogs and critters. I keep mine in a long plastic bin. They could go in the freezer too.