Author Topic: Ground hunting back east?  (Read 5276 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Ground hunting back east?
« on: May 18, 2021, 11:39:08 am »
Morning, boys.  As I've mentioned before, I'm due to retire here in about five years or so, and it'll take another couple years to get the Badgerling graduated from high school.  Land prices being what they are in Wyoming these days, we're pondering a move back east.  (the Ozarks area and Michigan's UP are high on the list of possibilities)  With the stingy bag limits here in my beloved rockies, the prospect of being able to put several whitetails, a few turkeys, and a bear or two in the freezer every year is part of the draw.  Just something I'm thinking about.

The thing is, I like spot-and-stalk and still hunting.  Sitting in a tree for hours doesn't interest me.  I'm not a snob about it, and I think it's a perfectly legit way to hunt; it just doesn't sound interesting to me.  (same reason I like fly fishing a mountain stream or stalking bluegills in a pond better than stink bait fishing for catfish)  So, what's the deal with ground hunting in the big woods back east?  Is it doable, or (as friends around here have told me) impossible to get a shot because of thick cover everywhere?  Do any of you back-east guys hunt from the ground, and if so, how do you go about it?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Ground hunting back east?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 02:08:54 pm »
U.P. is great, just watch out for the trolls under the bridge. :D

Are you looking at eastern or western U.P.?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:26:32 pm »
U.P. is great, just watch out for the trolls under the bridge. :D

Are you looking at eastern or western U.P.?

Mostly western.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 03:08:15 pm »
I did it just the opposite. Never hunted in a tree until around 2010. Still like both. Tree has its advantages on public for sure and where you have lots of animals, lots of eyes and noses. Think shooting horizontal has better angle thru vitals but once you learn your vertical kill angles it fun and a tad more difficult. Had to get both lungs sometimes.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 03:55:07 pm »
I live in Michigan and it really depends, there are a lot of thick swamps but the national forests have plenty of good places for stalking, particularly in the hardwoods. Wetlands are really the only place I see as being difficult (or a bunch of raspberries) but the wetlands are also where deer like to hide out when hunting pressure gets high. Clever creatures.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 04:52:22 pm »
Wetlands are really the only place I see as being difficult (or a bunch of raspberries) but the wetlands are also where deer like to hide out when hunting pressure gets high.

Contrary beasts, aren't they?  ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 07:21:47 pm »
I wonder if you could hide out in a canoe and shoot from there?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:13 pm »
Where I hunt in Missouri it's really thick. It's less spot and stalk, more still hunting.
In the woods I find my peace

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 10:20:00 am »
In Ga. you get 12 deer allowed.. 2 bucks 10 antlerless... 3 gobblers in spring ... I hunt both ways.. tree or ground...gut

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 11:04:01 am »
Good to know, guys.  Thanks.  Looks like ground hunting is a legit option, at least.  Now I just have to figure out if we can handle the heat and humidity.  ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour