Author Topic: DIY Archery Target  (Read 5746 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
DIY Archery Target
« on: May 18, 2021, 04:09:18 pm »
I updated my hay bales to something more permanent.
here is the build process if interested
https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/diy-archery-target/
Don

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: DIY Archery Target
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:29:46 pm »
Interesting.  I see you started your own forum, what hosting program do you use?

Offline Don W

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 07:38:40 pm »
Interesting.  I see you started your own forum, what hosting program do you use?

I've had a forum for a long time on my tool site. I was using website toolbox but my rates were going to go from $48 a year to $35 a month so I found I can now move it to the WordPress website and the cost is nothing so I figured I might as well add it to both sites.
Don

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:07:08 pm »
I see.  How large a photo can you post there?  Is it a secure server?  I wonder if that system would help with the PA website problems.

I hope I can find space for a target like that,  my current one is pretty bad.

Offline Don W

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 08:19:53 pm »
I see.  How large a photo can you post there?  Is it a secure server?  I wonder if that system would help with the PA website problems.

I hope I can find space for a target like that,  my current one is pretty bad.

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB
Don

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:24:11 pm »
Very nice, that sounds huge!

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 06:20:33 am »
I tried my hand at a temporary target a couple of days ago, with mixed sucess. I had some scrap very thick foam backed carpeting I cut into squares and inserted into a shallow wide box which I then slid into a larger and much stouter shallow box my TV came in.

The carpeting stopped the arrows cold but a couple of the cheap carbon arrows I used were damaged by impact with heads and threaded inserts coming out and hairline cracks visible.

I think I'll pick up a couple of bales of straw this week. I figure straw would be less likely to damage my arrows.

Many years ago I tried cleaning up a very funky old area rug without much success. I had it hanging on a line to dry and decided to see if arrows would pass through it. The rug was cheap and thin with no backing, doubled and hung over the line that made 4 layers.
I was surprised at how easily the hanging material absorbed the energy and arrows from a 35 lb Bearcat recurve just stuck in it about an inch or less with some just stopped dead.