Author Topic: Hunting with a house cat?  (Read 15867 times)

Offline Woody roberts

Re: Hunting with a house cat?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 05:50:40 pm »
I’ve had a couple cats that went wherever I went. I do some coyote calling and their pretty good decoys. A couple years back during muzzle loader season the cats and I were out. Little cat was mouseing in an old treetop out in front of me. She catches a mouse and runs up the hill behind me. In just a moment she come running back by me with a bobcat hot behind her. She goes up a tree and the bobcat gives up the chase.
I snapped the rifle 3 times but no go(bad primer). In Mo you can use a center fire pistol so I pulled my 45 colt and killed the cat.
If little kitty had jumped in my lap this would have been a more exciting story.

A few days later about 100 yds from there I called up another bobcat. This time the muzzle loader went off.

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2021, 06:14:08 pm »
Sweet. How’d the house cat do with the sound of the gun fire?
Bellaire, MI

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2021, 12:07:36 am »
They never seemed to pay it any mind

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2021, 09:09:01 am »
No kiddin’! Those are some hardy hunter puss genetics. Ever think of starting a hunting cat breeding operation? ;)
Bellaire, MI

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2021, 03:19:44 pm »
A horse stepped on the female ( lil kitty). The male ( El Gato ) has been neutered.

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2021, 04:23:44 pm »
Same with my cat, she got the snip before I knew how useful she was.
Bellaire, MI

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2021, 10:43:03 pm »
"move while they move, freeze while they freeze"

And if every animal you see is running in one direction its best if you immediately run in that direction just as fast as you can. Don't wait around to see what they are running from or it will be tooooo late.

I have had several cats that acted more like dogs, they go were I point and stop when told and were brave as any dog. Never thought about training them as hunting animals though.

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 09:43:42 pm »
After almost a year of hunting with my cat, we finally got a rabbit. (and with an arrow trade arrow to boot!)

It was a few weeks ago in Northern Michigan, no snow yet, I was following my cat around our property. I was walking along the path at the edge of a brush patch, the cat was in the brush, creeping along. Eventually she spooked a rabbit out into the path. I had a clear shot from about 12 yards but I jerked it high and the rabbit hopped back into the brush. Luckily, my trusty hunting cat was there and she forced the rabbit back out of the brush and into the path. I pulled another arrow from my quiver, nocked it, realized it was Pat B's 2021 arrow trade arrow, reminded myself that I do believe in magic, and whoosh...away she went, straight through the rabbit's heart.

We made rabbit chili, ate it for days, fed the whole neighborhood. Thank you Coco, thank you Pat, thank you rabbit.

Bellaire, MI

Offline TimBo

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2021, 10:08:04 am »
Good kitty, and nice shot!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 01:39:40 pm »
Wow, great score!  If my wife's cat ever did something that useful, I'd probably have a heart attack from the sheer surprise.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2021, 10:37:06 pm »
I wondered how long it would take before this thread came all the way around to this.

Great story, Boomz! Congratulations.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2021, 05:01:22 am »
the last days of august I was out near a pasture.
In the middle of this pasture there is a tree and under it a black cat making weird noise at the edge row 20 - 30 meters away
It looked very worried and also a little scared to leave the tree and venture in the open
All the sudden 2 roe deer fawns emerge from the brush and sprint toward the cat
they start chasing it at the speed of light
the cat run like hell but the pasture is big and the fawns are twice as fast
Every time the fawns catch it the cat stop and turns into a hissing black furred ball
without any significant speed change the fawns split, pass on the sides of the cat, make a large fast turn and start the chase all over again
In the meantime from the same brushes out they come the two mothers
the does run slowly, maintain some distance and seems to pay more attention only when the cat stops
after 15 or 20 run and stop the cat is too tired. It wont run anymore
The fawns stop running and the does join them and in a very aggressive way force the cat to a definitive retreat.
First time I saw something similar.  This is a picture after the event 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2021, 07:40:27 am »
I’m pretty sure Ed has a house cat that follows him hunting. I’m sure I remember him saying how the cat always alerts him by it’s behavior when it sees something.

Very interesting

I’m not really much of a cat person, but they can be very successful hunters. I’ve seen them catch and kill rabbits, birds and mice.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise