Author Topic: US Archery Rules Clarifications on Primitive Bow Handles  (Read 8008 times)

Offline avcase

US Archery Rules Clarifications on Primitive Bow Handles
« on: May 25, 2021, 06:12:09 pm »
We often have questions at our US Flight Shoot about what is or isn’t allowed for primitive flight bow handles. So we took into account suggestions from many of you on this forum to create the following clarifications.  These clarifications will be added to the official rules document as well.  I hope that this helps!

For the Primitive Self Bows:

For Primitive Simple Composite Bows:

Offline Badger

Re: US Archery Rules Clarifications on Primitive Bow Handles
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 03:41:54 pm »
   Simply establishing a length for the longest lam in the handle portion I think would handle it fairly enough and fairly represents what is actually being done with wood bows. I would suggest 14" and not even worry about including fades or bending portions. It would be a level playing field.

Offline Badger

Re: US Archery Rules Clarifications on Primitive Bow Handles
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 03:48:36 pm »
    A good example might be this, A guy wants to build a 70" bow from a 3/4" thick board. 3/4" will have considerable flex here so will need a longer gradual fade to keep the handle from popping off. In a case like this the lam would actually be bending in the fades so it would be stretching the intention of self bow a bit but at the same time this is done routinely with board bows. I have always felt primitive should be dropped and just switched to wood bows.