Author Topic: Some interesting points  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Wolfie

Some interesting points
« on: June 03, 2021, 02:22:34 pm »
Hi to eveyone out there...This is my first post, I'm from the U K. I've been scratching around In the dirt, finding flints and stuff for many .... With the lockdown over here, I thought I'd start a blog about my finds....Only some of the points I I'm not sure about.  I thought as there are people on here making stuff, at the sharp end ,so to speak, maybe posting some pics would help me get a better idea, and hopefully be of interest to folks. I don't work flint myself, but I have tried making a bow out of yew.

Offline Parnell

Re: Some interesting points
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 09:54:32 pm »
Hello Wolfie, and welcome to PA.  I, for one, would be interested to see any pieces you have found.  I have family in London and a sister who enjoys mudlarking in the Thames.  Amazing, the things that she has found over the years.  More common pieces of pottery, pipe bowls, and such...but, also a jewel, Roman coin, and a flint tool.  I'm always curious about the subject of stone points and tools from the "Old World". 
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:54:51 am »
Welcome aboard, Wolfie!  How about some pictures?  Parnell, maybe your sister could post some, too!
Keep us scrounges happy!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:58:25 am »
I enjoy looking at artifacts. Post away. And Welcome.

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 11:43:21 am »

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 12:05:35 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, bear with me while I try resizling images. . .Here we go, this first one I found donkeys years ago but didn't twig it was a point...the shape with tang/assymetry/lateralised on one side, suggests its from the late glacial Hamburgian culture, 15-13k B.P. They were reindeer hunters, tracking across the North sea from present day Germany. This is on the cusp of when the bow and arrow is known for sure...Its 90mm long,  is that too big for an arrowhead? I believe they had composite atlatls with an antler foreshaft, so maybe a dart from one of those?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 01:06:09 pm »
Well, I’ll speculate first.  My first thought was how similar that piece is to what my sister found in the river.  It does look like a spalled piece of flint.  What’s catching my attention, though is the base in your palm.  I am figuring that is where the impact point was that knocked this piece off from its core.  What’s odd, I think, is that sharp triangular point protruding in the opposite direction.  It’s atypical, in my mind from how the breaking pattern should be.  Also, it appears like maybe a flake was driven on that base triangular area to try and thin that ridge line?  Any shot at seeing the other side, Wolfie?

As for what it is?  I don’t think a projectile point.  Maybe just a spalled piece that was a useful tool...or simply just left aside?

Curious if others will have thoughts.
1’—>1’

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 03:19:32 pm »

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 10:32:04 pm »
Speculation is a good thing, just what we need to try and learn about  this stoney stuff...Some more pics of this one here we go...the ventral face, no clues here though it seems, and an angle to show the bulb/scar/radial fissures. I think  because of the granular inclusions, pics don't show features very well. The bulb of percussion looks quite broad here.

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 10:58:48 pm »

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 11:05:53 pm »
Platform, bulb, fissures https://imgur.com/gallery/jBbAVNp

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 11:27:30 pm »
Here's  a trio from nearby...the first has impact damage on the tip, the second has an oblique truncation.

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 11:28:26 pm »

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 05:09:32 am »
Alongside the points, I found a number of these distinctive tools, 'curved tip beaked burins'  known as 'Krombekstekers"...associated exclusively with the Hamburgian, so they're a useful diagnostic indicator. Known to be curated, in the first picture you can see how some have been repeatedly resharpened.

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 05:27:13 am »