Author Topic: Some interesting points  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Wolfie

Re: Some interesting points
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 05:32:04 am »
Antler foreshaft test!
https://youtu.be/lXw-K6DR7RU

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 10:18:44 am »
I think watching this helped me answer some questions, and has given me some fresh insight...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 10:29:14 am »
This is a good video.  I always sort of scratch my head when academics search for how “exactly” things were done or used.  Clearly there was a technique shared by people to spall out these types of sharp flakes capable of possibly being good for a point or possibly used as a knife...or, scraper.  They are tools.

When people hand make objects there are subtle differences between each persons work.  It would have been the same 12,000 years, ago.  My point is, I don’t think there is an “exact” way.  People just make it happen for use and we also consider aesthetic beauty in the process, if we have the time and energy.

Will you learn to knap, Wolfie? 
1’—>1’

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 10:38:17 am »
When you consider the environment at this time, trees would be few and far between, making wood a scant resource. Adding an antler foreshaft means that if your shaft breaks, it  would be at the join...So perhaps it was a strategy to try and ensure retrieval and reuse of  valuable wood. As a bonus, it also leads to a far superior projectile - the density of antler at the front means it flaps about less, has a better flight path so is more accurate. Also, better penetration of the target. It occured to me that carrying both a bow and atlatl  would be a wise move...if your bow breaks, a replacement could be tricky=no food+death, but you  still have the thrower... Adopting a composite projectile means you can adapt your strategy as needs be. One final thing, on the point I found, I always thought the triangular base looked odd compared to other definite tangs...Seeing the foreshaft in the video, with a slot cut at the tip, you can see how it fits. Clever stuff, and deep respect for those hardy ice age hunters...

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 11:10:05 am »
I agree with you about that video, definitely a well thought out bit of experimental archaeology, ruth less German efficiency wins again.... Also, I think you hit the nail on the head with your point about multi purpose tools...A highly mobile hunter-gatherer has to travel light, so dual use would be an imperative...though with a trade off. If it breaks,  you lose 2 tools!
 I think its not surprising academics often struggle to grasp the mindset of the people who made these tools...That rigid, overly analytical mode of thought seems diametrically opposed to the wonderful pragmatism, the on the fly adaptability you get a sense of by looking at flint artefacts.  I guess sometimes form follows function for sure...Other times it won't be pretty, but still do the job. Actually, what you mentioned was part of why I wanted to post on here, with some of the more ersatz/ad hoc type stuff that I found.

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 11:15:38 am »
To answer your question about knapping, I think I simply have to learn in the very near future...The next stage for me!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 01:10:07 pm »
I’m glad to read you are considering picking up some rock!  I hope you do, I know the message board will be supportive.  Have you researched or are you aware of locations to access that nice flint you all have, over there?
1’—>1’

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 05:53:57 pm »
Well...locally, its not so much that flint is a part of the landscape...it IS the landscape! A walk along the beach here would often find you with 6ft or more of  cobbles under your feet...

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 05:54:34 pm »

Offline Wolfie

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 05:49:49 pm »
...Should I post some more pics,  anyone inteterested ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 09:43:20 am »
An interesting video. What I thought different from the many other videos using the same blade shape is the foreshafts carved to fit the blade core instead of mounting a blade in a simple notch. Most of the time you see people trying to replicate this style of blade try to straighten the core blade instead of cutting notches in the shaft at angles to utilize the blade curvature.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?