Author Topic: Asiatic Composite Build-Along  (Read 53343 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Asiatic Composite Build-Along
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2006, 01:13:08 pm »
Update.  Been busy bowhunting and duckhunting these last few weeks, plenty of ducks but no deer in the freezer.  Well, there is one but its a roadkill doe I cut up.  Yes I am a redneck.  My wife actually saw it laying on the road and called me.  She likes deer jerky.  Yes she is a redneck too.

I did apply silk over the sinew on the composite bow, and painted that black.  It looks OK, I still want to decorate it more than this.  And I need to wrap the handle/fades with cord or something, possibly put a leather handle wrap over that.  When this will get done, I am not sure.

I am writing though, to tell you that the bow has already been blooded.  MY friend came over last night to put a leather handle on an osage bow I helped him make for his dad.  After we did that, and made a new string for it, we went outside to shoot a few arrows.  I took the composite bow along.  It was dark except for the porch light but I spied a couple of rabbits in the back yard.  I happened to have a broadhead arrow in my quiver so I shot at one of the rabbits and killed it.  About a fifteen yard shot, nothng special but I was proud and having a witness was cool too.  I had rabbits in my garden all summer, raiding my green beans.  So this was an act of revenge.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

duffontap

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2006, 01:33:24 pm »
I was wondering what happend to you.  I enjoyed your project.  I've been wanting to do a kinda bare-bones composite.  Your build-along made it sound possible.  Will you be posting pictures soon?

J. D. Duff

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2006, 02:16:36 pm »
I'll take a couple more tonight.  The tiller is looking alright and the bow seems fairly stable.  I might get around to wrapping the handle this weekend.  Then again, I'm taking my 50-cal muzzleloader out for the gun opener tomorrow, and we're getting a north wind that might push some new ducks down our way so Sunday will probably be spent in the marsh.

Life is good!

I think I have less than $40 worth of materials in this bow.  $15 for horn, $15 for sinew, a $5 bamboo slat (enough for two), some resorcinol (a few dollars' worth) and some small pieces of hardwood for handle and siyahs.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:09 am »
Managed to get a buck on Sunday with the 50cal Hawken rifle, wish I'd had my bow instead because it was a 20 yard broadside shot while he was standing still.  Thats my excuse for not posting more photos till now.

The last three pics added are of the silk backing after it was painted black, the handle wrap which is duck decoy cord, and another full-draw photo.  I wrapped the handle just like I would serve a string, that worked really well and it looks very nice.  I may yet add a leather handle, and I have to paint something on the limbs and put some tung oil on the siyahs.  But its getting closer to being officially done.  I'm thinking I'll get it finished by December.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/62tomsawyer/Asiatic%20Composite%20Bow/
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Roger

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006, 02:48:53 am »
I like the tiller Lennie...looks good. Real fine job on that one. Looks like you've been on a diet... ::)

Roger

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 11:30:03 am »
Sorry about the partial nudity, it was late when I remembered to take the photos.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Roger

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 11:49:51 am »
Just messin' with ya Lennie. Say...did you use epoxy for the wood/horn bond. If so why did you choose it over Urac? I have a little project going... ;D

R

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 01:38:37 pm »
I used resorcinol on this bow, URAC would work too.  I've used them both for backed bows and consider them to be equivalent.  Both have gap-filling properties thanks to wood-flour in the catalyst, they are strong and flexible, and don't shrink as they set up.  I was worried about strength since I was piecing together the horn belly, thats why I didn't go authentic with hide glue for this first run.  I actually managed a pretty good fit between the horn pieces and the core so I wasn't looking at having to fill large gaps.

You already knew about the glues, I was throwing that out for the others.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Roger

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 01:47:02 pm »
Thanks bud!  I will give the Urac a shot. I've never done a bow with horn. This should be fun.

R

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 11:49:28 am »
ttt
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.