Author Topic: A testament to the strength of burnt wood and burlap bags  (Read 2351 times)

Offline boomhowzer

A testament to the strength of burnt wood and burlap bags
« on: June 05, 2021, 08:53:13 am »
Alright! I got myself a shooter! This is my 7th attempt. An elm board bow backed with a burlap bag. It started out 68". I went overboard with the floor tillering and whittled it down to #35 before I even got it on my tillering tree. The tiller was all out of whack and I saw visions of the #15 monster, so I cut it down to 62" (this is a pattern. this is how I make bows: I mess them up, I cut their ends off, I mess them up again).

With a little more room to maneuver, I was able to get the tiller right and keep the bow pulling #50 at the 62". Very exciting. Shot a dozen arrows, all of them in the bullseye. I unbraced it and the shape of the bow was the shape of my mouth.  :(  It had taken a whopping 4" of set. It was like a crappy magic trick..the bow stayed braced with out a string. I should have taken a picture but I was too embarrassed.

As a last ditch effort, I decided to clamp the big frown to a form and roast it over a fire. I'd done this before with red oak and the results were disastrous, but Marc St. Louis says elm is one of the best for heat treating, so I was hopeful. I rubbed bacon grease over the belly of the bow and I kept it over the coals for an hour and a half until it had a nice dark brown hue.

After letting it sit for 2 days I got it back on the tillering tree and it pulled #50 at just 22"! A miracle! I thought #50 might still be too much for this bow to handle, so I tillered it down to 47# at my 26" draw and viola! A shooter! No masterpiece, but I've shot a few dozen arrows out of it, all in the bullseye, its a nice steady shooter, no hand shock, mild stacking, less than an inch of set, looks like someone made a weapon out of their old shag carpeting. I give all the credit to the strength of a burlap bag and Marc St. Louis's bow burning instructions. I'll post more pics when I get it all fit and finished. Note the camouflage in the photo..almost undetectable in any urban whitetail hunting scenario.
Bellaire, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: A testament to the strength of burnt wood and burlap bags
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 09:38:10 am »
Looks good.  You did a good job tillering the bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:36:25 am »
Very good.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 10:45:36 am »
Yes, very good.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Will B

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 10:54:43 am »
Congrats on a nice bow!  Can you show a picture of the toasted belly?  I’m just getting into fire hardening bows. Nice tool to have in a bowyers toolbox.  (=)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:12:20 am »
Congrats....Feel good for ya!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 11:50:45 am »
I am glad the burlap worked well for you. Excellent tiller. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 01:08:57 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words!

And to Jawge for his tutorial http://traditionalarchery101.com/burlap.html

The fire hardening is pretty amazing. Endless thanks to Marc St. Louis for his research and writing on the subject. I would read his article in TBB IV if you haven't already.

This is the 4th time I've toasted a bow over a fire. The first time was hilarious. I just made a fire and held the bow over it like you would a marshmallow and within minutes I scorched the limb and curled it into 3" of set. Subsequent attempts have been much better executed. Now I cold clamp the bow to a wooden half-moon form with about 3" of reflex. I use 2 metal clamps, one on each tip so its light and easy to maneuver around the fire. I think its a good idea to rub the belly down with fat to protect the wood and I think it helps spread the heat out more evenly. I've used mink oil and bacon grease. I prefer the mink oil because it smells better and sometimes I like flavored bacon, like maple or honey chipotle, and it stains the wood a funny color (see pic).

The roasting is a skill all in itself. As you can see from the pictures, I'm still not getting a nice even roast up and down the limbs. The color comes on fairly quickly in the beginning when the coals are hottest, so I think keeping the bow moving at this stage would result in a more even roast. As the coals cool, I leave the bow propped up on cinder blocks, shifting it around every 5 or 10 minutes. My fire pit is only big enough to do one limb at a time, so I roast one limb, rekindle the fire, let it burn down to coals, then roast the other limb.

It seems like the real work is being done during the slow roast after the coals have cooled. The longer the bow is over the fire (without scorching), the better the results. The bow in the picture had a 1.5 hour burn time, but I think it would be worth trying a two or even three hour burn time as long as you can keep the wood from turning too dark.

After I pull the bow off the fire, I rub it down with turpentine/pine sap shellac and let it sit for a long time...days. Marc really harps on the sitting time in his article and I think he's right for doing so. The wood has to return to equilibrium moisture before you can work it, otherwise it will be brittle.

All of the bows I've heat treated had a backing glued on with Titebond III. At first, I put tin foil between the back of the bow and the form, thinking the glue would heat up and stick the bow to the form. This isn't necessary. The glue actually hardens and becomes what I refer to as Titebond IV. If you're planning on backing a bow, I would definitely do it before heat treating. The benefits the heat has on the glue are astounding. The backing seems to cinch down onto the bow as it cools.

That's all I've learned about heat treating over a fire thus far. I'm still a beginner, so I'm speaking from limited experience and my methodologies are worth questioning. Maybe Marc could weigh in with tweaks/improvements in the process. He's the real expert in this realm.
Bellaire, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 04:25:39 pm »
  Nice shooter boomhowzer...Congrats! (SH)
                                                                  Don

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 04:28:59 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 08:42:02 pm »
 Cool. I kind of like the burlap look. Fine job on the tiller. Well done.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 11:26:30 am »
Thanks guys! It is a strange look for a bow. Makes me want to harvest some carpet from our living room and try that out for a backing...
Bellaire, MI

Offline airkah

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 12:21:40 pm »
Congrats on making a shooter! Love the celebratory outfit!