Author Topic: 69" Osage Flat Bow Till check  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
69" Osage Flat Bow Till check
« on: June 07, 2021, 05:11:40 pm »
It's my first time working with Osage. 69" ttt. 1 3/4" wide at the widest. This came to me as a 3x4 rough sawn chunk. It's my first time chasing a ring, and it was old and dry. I think I got it right, but I backed it with rawhide just in case.

Don

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: 69" Osage Flat Bow Till check
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 05:20:16 pm »
Don,  the tiller looks great! Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 06:08:53 pm »
Well that was obviously an attempt at a humble-brag when you asked for a tiller check!

You know darned good and well that is a fantastic job and the bow looks amazing! Killer tiller.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 06:49:56 pm »
Looks really good. Should be a nice shooter.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 08:07:23 pm »
Really sweet!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 08:15:57 pm »
nice work!
1’—>1’

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 10:46:12 pm »
Looks great to me also. Good job.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 09:49:03 am »
Excellent eliptical bend on your stick.You did good.How does it shoot?Hope you get ahold of more osage.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 10:45:39 am »
 :OK  What everyone else said!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BetterTrees

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 12:16:58 am »
So, I am a novice bowyer with zero completed osage bows, but it really sounds like an overbuilt design and looks like the outer top limb is a little stiff to my admittedly inexperienced eye.
Is that length and width plus rawhide not going to lead to a fairly sluggish bow?  I have about half a dozen staves from various osage sources that I've been studying and trying to plan out builds for.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 04:41:38 pm »
First off, note he said quartersawn. That means he started with a board, and edge grain at that. Rawhide is an incredibly sensible choice for backing and the weight of thin rawhide backing adds only a few grams of weight out on the tips and the difference in speed from the arrows would be maybe a loss of 1-2 fps, which is still going to be significantly faster than the most efficiently designed and executed broken bow.

Secondly, I see nothing concerning about the tiller, nothing that would keep me up at night, much less cause me to break out a micrometer to try to quantify.

As for worshipping the Gods of Speed, unless you are seriously considering a trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats for the International Flight Shoot, it's really just academic. EVERYTHING in making bows and arrows is a long series of tradeoffs. High efficiency/high-speed bows are generally short-lived and break at the worst possible time, as per Murphy and his law. I'll trade off that speed for longer limbed bows that seem to be more accurate and sweeter shooting.

Now settle on a design and start making woodchips, and be sure to post pics of progress as you go. We are all about seeing what others are making!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rps3

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 09:51:23 pm »
Nice bow. Looks like a bit of reflex in the top limb that might make it appear stiff when it's not. I wish you years of service from it.

Offline BetterTrees

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 01:43:24 am »
Thank you for the effort in that post, JW_Halverson.
I didn't mean any offense. Don said he chased a ring, so the grain violation in the board should just be radial violations (which, from what I understand, the rawhide also helps protect against failures from).
I've only just started making bows in February and broken several, had a few successes, stacked dozens of staves, and haven't worn any bows out yet.
I'll introduce myself and my progress to the forum properly sometime after I get back home from my current adventure where I can take pictures. I may get some whittling done on the stave I brought with me in the meantime.

Thank you rps3. None of the pictures are perfectly from the side and I was having trouble figuring out what I wasn't seeing there.

It's a good looking bow. I'm just trying to learn.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:35:37 pm by BetterTrees »

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 06:15:21 pm »
The Chrono results

Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 10:52:19 pm »
BetterTrees.....It looks like there might be a little propeller in the top limb to make it look that way.No big deal.
What is the poundage and draw length on your osage bow Don?Not bad speed for the maple for shooting an over 11 grain + arrow from it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:59:01 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed