Author Topic: A gift from Ma Nature.  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
A gift from Ma Nature.
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:54:49 pm »
I was on a walk with my 2 dogs this evening when I walked past what looked like some sort of fungi that had fallen from a tree. We had a bit of high winds and rain yesterday and last night. When I went in for closer observation I realized it was a wad of pine pitch. There is very little debris in the pitch and it had air dried as it was not sticky on the outside. It looks like it must have broken off of larger wad in a nearby pine tree. I will have to investigate more later. ;)
   I took this as a good omen and will use this for a batch of pitch glue. Maybe it absorbed some of the strength from the storm. 8)       Pat

ps, my knife has a 4 1/2" long handle for size reference. The mass weighs 1.65oz

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

Re: A gift from Ma Nature.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:06:22 pm »
Now if a buffalo would wonder by and......... ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:17:05 pm »
Cool.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:27:46 pm »
good medicine brother .. good find.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 01:11:31 am »
I was really surprised to find it. It is quite clean also. I need to find the source! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:19:09 am »
what would you need that for? ;D ;D just kidding thats awesome, wish i could find some just layin there like that.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:49:43 am »
Looks like a good thing for your primitive tool Kit.  Good find.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:23:04 pm »
Pat sometimes when i go lookin for sap i run my finders through the leaves and dirt at the base of a old pine tree and i sometimes find solid hunks of dryed sap.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:25:05 am »
Good idea. ;) I'll give that a try. I prefer the solid stuff for making glue anyway. Otherwise I have to cook it to evaporate off the volatile juices.   We have been having some windy days and nights lately. I'll have to check out the tree this gift came from.     Pat

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 02:52:58 am »
good mojo. bring some of it to Hickory. might try and trade ya outta some of it ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 07:00:33 pm »

Gnarley!  Looks like Skunk Ape snot!  Might want to be sure, ol Sasquatch didn't use a Georgia handkerchief there.  Would indeed be a nice addition to your possibles bag.  I have some hard pitch, I got out of a tractor trailor a long time ago, that had been hauling turpentine.  It was about three or four inches long, and about two or three thick.  Still have it in my black powder possibles bag, with my flint and steel, and tender.  It is good for a lot of things, such as melting on sticks to have ready to help light a fire.  Like lighter stumps down here, in Fla.  The stuff just burns like a candle, and is very hot.
Not to mention it will ruin your axe, or chain saw.  You have to split it into splinters, and thick strips.

Stick Bender