Author Topic: Recurve Question  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Oldvol

Recurve Question
« on: June 10, 2021, 05:00:59 pm »
Making my first recurve hickory board bow. When should I bend the tips? Before tillering, after tillering or somewhere in between? Would appreciate some guidance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Recurve Question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:52:55 pm »
When the limb tips are thin enough for recurving. With hickory steaming or boiling works best.Generally around floor tiller stage where the limb tips are 3/4" to 5/8" thick.

I'm moving this to "BOWS" for more exposure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline darinputman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 07:42:31 pm »
I generally like to have mine thinner than most, 3/8 to 1/2 inch. You didn't mention heat source for bending.
   I boil mine about 45 minutes, bend ,  set bend with heat gun as soon as they cool. Give it a day to a week depending on mood and start tillering. I also like to pay attention to belly growth rings around bend area, it seems that I have better luck if I keep the bend within a growth ring. If a ring runs out in area I'm bending I am more likely to raise  splinters or belly cracks there. Good luck!

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:23 pm »
For hickory I like my tips 1” wide and 5/8” thick. I steam them for 40 minutes then bend on my recurve caul. Good luck.

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 09:59:13 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the info. Just started long string tillering. My tips are currently at 1/2 inch. Guess I better bend them. Plan to boil them. Now to make a bending form.

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 11:57:56 am »
Decided to tiller part way before bending. Currently drawing 40#@19” with a short brace (4”). Ready to bend. Tips are 5/16” thick. One tip has some grain run off on one side. Afraid this will splinter during bending. Is there any way to wrap or reinforce this area?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 03:24:05 pm »
You should round the edges before bending.  Unless you want a low draw weight bow then 5/16" might be a bit too thin for recurving, as in they might pull out.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 04:10:51 pm »
Unless the bow is very short, under 50”, it’s rarely the case that the limb tips should get so thin even for a fully tillered bow. Got any pictures and more stats for your bow?

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 05:27:41 pm »
My 1st successful bow was a pyramid bow 66” long with 3/16” thick tips but the draw weight was only 30#. This bow is a flat bow 66” long, 1 3/4”  wide, with taper starting 12” from the tips. I thought thinner tips would bend easier. Did not think about possibility of recurve pulling out. Would heat treating belly after curving help prevent that? Hoping for 40# pull but it may be too much for me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 07:21:41 pm »
You could bend some thin strips to use as underlays on the same form as that you bent the recurves, glue them in place and shape the tips. This will give you static recurve tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 08:46:49 pm »
Thank you Pat B. Two questions. How thick is thin - 1/16, 1/8, etc. and should I glue them on before I finish tillering?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 11:35:54 pm »
I'd glue the underlays on shortly after bending the recurves so you stiffen the tips before they are strained. I'd go with a 1/8" thick underlay. You can always thin the tips later. Also, leave the tips wide, 3/4" to 1" until after the recurved are bent, the underlays are installed and you are sure the tips line up with each other along the back and the string tracks well. The extra width can help with the line up. Also, leave the handle blocky for later possible adjustments. Once everything lines up you can reduce the width of the tips to reduce physical weight.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 10:23:08 am »
Heat-treating will help to set the recurve in.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 11:11:51 am »
I live in a dry climate. If I want sharp(contact) recurves I soak the tip in a glass of water for a few days before steam bending or they will crack. Since I rehydrate the wood I need to wait 10+ days before I bend the bow again.

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 12:18:13 pm »
Many thanks. I intend to do exactly what each of you have advised. Should I use Super Glue or Titebond III?