Author Topic: Helene's BBO Holmegaard-ish bow - just finished and shot in - some pics  (Read 6630 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Hi All,

emboldened by my seemingly successful "camo" BBO flatbow (which is not quite finished yet !), I decided that I would make Helene a backup bow before we go to the NFAS 3D Championships here in the UK.  Since we shoot in the NFAS Primitive class, I also needed to make a primitive style bow, and then I saw adb3112's Holmegaard build-along.  Inspired by that article, and having some osage and bamboo to use I decided to have a go at one myself.

I cut the osage to the basic shape, thinned it down in the working limb sections, and then glued it into a 2" Perry-style reflex with the bamboo backing.  I thinned the bamboo, but not really enough towards the limb tips, if I'm honest.  I will get that right next time - practice, practice, practice!  ;)  Also, I managed to crack the bamboo in the middle at one end longitudinally for about 4", but since it was on the non bending, non-working part of one limb, I talked myself into ignoring it.  Helene was keen to see the stave when it came out of the glue up, but less happy to see the crack, which had been highlighted by the dark resourcinol glue.  I said I would have a go at disguising it, and thats when I decided to put on a thin overlay of a veneer of lacewood (or some call it leopardwood), which I thought would look good if I put it on both limbs.  So I did, and Helene was happy  ;D

During tillering it occurred to me that to get the limb ends non-bending while still light, I would make them roughly triangular.  That is, the non-bending portions of the limb appear very thick, and dont bend because they have a deep section front-to-back, but they could still be quite light if I shaved the sides of the limb into a pronounced ridge running along the belly face of the limbs.  This seems to have worked, because the bow shoots far more quickly than I might have expected, given its modest draw weight - Helene prefers 38lb at 25" draw, the same as her current ash flatbow by Andy Hall (a bowyer and a half, believe me).

The bow bends gently into the handle area, since the working parts of each limb are only around 16" long.  The handle is 1" wide by a shade under 3/4" thick, and wrapped in a salvaged piece of chocolate coloured suede from an old jacket of Helene's.  The bow is 62.5" NTN, and the limb tips are approx 9mm (5/16") wide.  I had to cut the nocks in quite deep to avoid unexpected unstringing, but that worked well.  The very end of the limbs are strengthened with an inset overlay of black buffalo horn.  I made a 6-strand flemish twist string from purple 450Plus (hey, it was the only colour the shop had  8) ), and used a short doubled serving it to make it thick enough to use with existing arrows.  The final finish was Helene's choice of plain bamboo with the overlays, all coated in gloss polyurethane varnish.

I think it turned out quite nicely, and I was very happy at the cast it has.  Our club's 70-yard shot to our cutout elephant was dispatched with only a whisper of elevation, and the bow shoots quietly, so all seems well.  I will post the pictures any minute in separate posts.  Note that I dont have any full draw pics just yet, but they will follow.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bobnewboy

Here are some pics of the limb ends

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bobnewboy

Some pics of the bow, strung

Offline bobnewboy

...and the handle, and just-unstrung side profile - it still keeps about 1" of reflex overall.

Offline bobnewboy

..and the new owner, with her current ash super-flatbow, at the club grounds last weekend.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Pretty cool bow. I like the leopard wood overlay.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Neat bow, I like the look of those Holmgaards. Good job!
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Very nice,beautiful bow you have there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Really nice bow, I like the design. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

Looks great, bet she's going to like it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Gorgeous Bow - Any chance of getting a 90 degree full draw shot of the lovely lady for a good look at the tiller?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline bobnewboy

Hi All,

Here are the full draw pics, including one with the usual computer generated elipse.  Hope y'all like them.   ;D

//Bob

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Thanks for the great FD pictures. Got your fine bow bookmarked for May Laminate Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline bobnewboy

Thanks OldBow!  Its great to even be considered given the ongoing high standard of bows on this site.

//Bob  ;D